Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Present python visual in Server

I imported python visuals in power BI desktop and made a nice visual.

I wanted to share with colleagues, so published it to Power BI.

When I tried to view the python visuals, I get an error saying python visuals are currently disabled in my organization. When I clieck for more details, I am directed to a page about how to install R script, and not how to deal with the issue at hand.

Capture.PNG

Can I please get some assistance so I can implement these visuals.

10 REPLIES 10
mhasler
Frequent Visitor

Any updates to this?  I am using Desktop/Server January 2020 and still getting the same error as OP.

Is this something our Power BI admin has to enable? 

If so- is there a link with instructions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I imported python visuals in power BI desktop and made a nice visual.

I wanted to share with colleagues, so published it to Power BI.

When I tried to view the python visuals, I get an error saying python visuals are currently disabled in my organization. When I clieck for more details, I am directed to a page about how to install R script, and not how to deal with the issue at hand.

Capture.PNG

Can I please get some assistance so I can implement these visuals.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

could be related to custom visuals?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-custom-visuals-organization

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg , I do not think so, as they python visuals work prior ro publishing

@Anonymous  there is a difference between importing into your desktop and then publishing to the service

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal#organization-visuals

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg 

I did not find the difference between importing a visual and publishing on the link. 

In other cases, I imported visuals and published them without issue. 

I find it odd, that a user can implement python/R scripts on desktop:

Capture.PNG

But then, when publishing, it becomes unsafe?? I wrote the sript to generate the visual in the desktop environment, how would this change once published?

@Anonymous  

which visual did you import?

ok let me re iterate the issue so i understand it correctly, you downloaded a python custom visual im assuming from here https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals  (can you show me which one)

you then created a power bi desktop file where you successfully generated a python script which utilised this python visual

you then published your pbix to the power bi service and you got this error that it was disabled at an organisation level, correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg 

I did not download a visual.

On Desktop:

I enabled python scripts as shown previously. Once enabled, I am permitted to develop python visuals.

Capture1.PNG

Using that visual, I wrote a script to create a visual.

Capture.PNG

I published via:

File --> Publish --> Publish to Power BI --> destination == My Workspace

When I went to powerbi.microsoft.com to view my report, the visual was replaced with an error message

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same issue trying to share R visualizations.

@Anonymous   ok that make sense

however, what i mean is that from your error message it looks like the python visuals need to be enabled at an organisational level (ie for sharing) in the service.

whats confusing me, in the admin portal of power bi service for R visuals you need to enable them,i dont see that for python

i found this older thread, which might help, im not sure they available yet in the service?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Python-in-Power-Bi-Service/td-p/556628

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.