Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Premium capacity workspaces + admins

Dear all,

I would like to know how can I extract the list of my Premium capacity workspaces and their admins. I can view the list of Premium workspaces and their admins but i cannot extract. how can i extract it?

thanks for your help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous 

The Power BI REST API can gather that information using the GET GroupsAsAdmin call see: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups-get-groups-as-admin#get-workspaces-with-users-expanded-(only-applicable-for-workspaces-in-the-new-workspace-experience)

Set the filtering to:

Is On Dedicated Capacity = TRUE

users.groupUserAccessRight = Admin

Your results would look like this:

Watsky_0-1636582001568.png

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Hey @Anonymous 

Here are my responses to your questions:

1.) You won't be able to do this with the Power BI REST API alone. You might be able to acheive this if you connect to the unified logs or maybe the Azure API. It would have to be done in conjunction with the Power BI Rest API data (which if it's in the unified log would have the Power BI data). Can't say I have done this before but that information isn't found in just the Power BI REST API.

2.)  I would need more details on this such as how are you trying to connect in Postman, what error are you receiving, are you using credentials or a service principal? It's best to start a new thread for this because others may have the same situation.

3.) Personal Group is displayed for the "My Workspaces" for each person. As an example, here is what it looks like for mine in the extract. 

Watsky_1-1639095030224.pngWatsky_2-1639095060538.png

Hope this helps!

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous 

The Power BI REST API can gather that information using the GET GroupsAsAdmin call see: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups-get-groups-as-admin#get-workspaces-with-users-expanded-(only-applicable-for-workspaces-in-the-new-workspace-experience)

Set the filtering to:

Is On Dedicated Capacity = TRUE

users.groupUserAccessRight = Admin

Your results would look like this:

Watsky_0-1636582001568.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Watsky, 

I have 3 more questions :

1/ I would like to know if the request can return the list of admins of office 365 groups which contain published power bi reports? 

because in the documentation it says that 

=> only applicable for workspaces in the new workspace experience)

2/ to create the request in postman, i am power bi admin, do we need to be global admin too? iin my role, the request does not return / work...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups-get-groups-as-admin#get-workspaces-w...)

Required scope

Tenant.Read.All or Tenant.ReadWrite.All

3/ Moreover, do you know the difference between personal group and group? (when i extract the list of workspaces from the power bi admin portal, i get different types of workspaces).

thank you very much for your help. 

Hey @Anonymous 

Here are my responses to your questions:

1.) You won't be able to do this with the Power BI REST API alone. You might be able to acheive this if you connect to the unified logs or maybe the Azure API. It would have to be done in conjunction with the Power BI Rest API data (which if it's in the unified log would have the Power BI data). Can't say I have done this before but that information isn't found in just the Power BI REST API.

2.)  I would need more details on this such as how are you trying to connect in Postman, what error are you receiving, are you using credentials or a service principal? It's best to start a new thread for this because others may have the same situation.

3.) Personal Group is displayed for the "My Workspaces" for each person. As an example, here is what it looks like for mine in the extract. 

Watsky_1-1639095030224.pngWatsky_2-1639095060538.png

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.