Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

soldstatic
Resolver I
Resolver I

Predefined Filter Sets

I'm looking for a way to define a couple different filters and allow the user to 'flip' between these sets quickly. For instance the data set looks like this:

ID: (unique ID)

Metric: (metric we are evaluating)

Cause: (~30 defined values)

Failed Component: (~20 defined values)

So the dashboard would, by default, show all the visualizations with all the data points included. A user could use a drop down or something to change the 'view' to be "Business Case 1". In which case 15 of the causes are filtered out. However the user switch the drop down to "Business Case 2" in which case only 3 causes are filtered out but 10 failed components are filtered out. In my case I'd specifically like this to basically filter the whole report. Is this possible? The only way I can think of to do it would be to add a column called Business Case 1 and have a long formula to go through the 'if this/that' parameters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually I apologize but I just found out there is a much easier way to do this. PowerBI has a beta feature that you have to enable, but the 'Bookmarks" feature works almost perfectly. One can set up some shapes to act as buttons on the dashboard so that novice users can get in and just push a button to flip between different scenarios. It's not quite the drop down list that I would prefer, but it will do what I need to do.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @soldstatic,

>>However the user switch the drop down to "Business Case 2" in which case only 3 causes are filtered out but 10 failed components are filtered out. In my case I'd specifically like this to basically filter the whole report. Is this possible? 

I don't think you can use slicer/filter to filter 'failed component'. Normally, it will only return records which match with 'case 2'.

Can you please share some same data with excepted result? It will be help to clarify your requirement.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sure thing. Here is a sample.

ItemCauseComponentMetric
Item 1AAZZ10
Item 2BBYY9
Item 3CCXX8
Item 4DDWW7
Item 5EEVV6

Business case 1:Exclude EE, exclude YY
Item 1AAZZ10
Item 3CCXX8
Item 4DDWW7

Dashboard highlights metric:25

Business case 1:Exclude BB, exclude ZZ
Item 3CCXX8
Item 4DDWW7
Item 5EEVV6

Dashboard highlights metric:21

So if I want the user to be able to switch between two business cases, (one view is good for one department, the other is good for a different department), currently they would have to clear all the filters and then apply two different filters on cause and component based on which department they are in. The people viewing the dashboard don't know jack about the underlying data though, so this is no good. I need to have them be able to select from "Business Case 1" and "Business Case 2". 

For this simplistic data set, creating a 'Business Case' column wouldn't be too difficult, but as I mentioned in the real world scenario there are about 30 different acceptable values for both Cause and Component, and there are actually another 6 fields that make up the filter. 

HI @soldstatic,

So you want to achieve exclude filter, right? If this is a case, current you can't use normal slicer to these effect.

I'd like to suggest you create two slicer table and write a measure to check filter conditions.
Then drag above measure to visual level filter to achieve filter affect.

Sample:

Selector tables.(not have relationship to original table)

Cause Selector = VALUES(Sample[Cause])
Component Selector = VALUES(Sample[Component])

Measure:

Flag =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Sample[Cause] ) IN ALLSELECTED ( 'Cause Selector'[Cause] )
        || SELECTEDVALUE ( Sample[Component] )
            IN ALLSELECTED ( 'Component Selector'[Component] ),
    "N",
    "Y"
)

Create table visual with original data, then drag above measure to visual level filter to filter if flag measure equal to 'Y'.

5.PNG

Result:

2.gif

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Actually I apologize but I just found out there is a much easier way to do this. PowerBI has a beta feature that you have to enable, but the 'Bookmarks" feature works almost perfectly. One can set up some shapes to act as buttons on the dashboard so that novice users can get in and just push a button to flip between different scenarios. It's not quite the drop down list that I would prefer, but it will do what I need to do.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.