Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NNaj
Helper IV
Helper IV

Powerquery to create a new column with the following features

Hi All, I was hoping someone could help with this column I am trying to create using power query

I have the following table:

ClassificationCompanyValue(column needed)
EApple1060
ETesla1555
EApple5060
ETesla4055
SApple2030
SApple1030
STesla55

Basically I nede a column (on power query) that does the sum of the value for each classification and company and repeats these values in the cells wherever the company name comes up.

For example Apple has to E's, valued 10 and 50. so I want my column to say 60 for both these fields.

The DAX code for this is as follows: Column = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Value]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Classification],Table1[Company]))

Looking for powerquery code so that I can unpivot this column

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @NNaj 

Paste the following code in a blank (empty) query so that you can see the steps. The relevant one is the last one (#"Added Custom")

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclXSUXIsKMhJBdKGBkqxOhChkNTinESQkClcCKbKFFOVCUQoGEmVEaaQIUIIphFoeiwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Classification = _t, Company = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "New column", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner)=> inner[Classification] = [Classification] and inner[Company]=[Company])[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @NNaj 

Paste the following code in a blank (empty) query so that you can see the steps. The relevant one is the last one (#"Added Custom")

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclXSUXIsKMhJBdKGBkqxOhChkNTinESQkClcCKbKFFOVCUQoGEmVEaaQIUIIphFoeiwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Classification = _t, Company = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "New column", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner)=> inner[Classification] = [Classification] and inner[Company]=[Company])[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.