Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blytonpereira
Helper II
Helper II

Powerquery Keep only next N months of data

Hello

I have a column named Date like below. The EARLIEST DATE is dyanmic, that is sometimes it can start with any month.

Date (MM/DD/YYYY)

09/01/2018

09/01/2018

09/01/2018

10/01/2018

11/01/2018

12/01/2018

01/01/2019

02/01/2019

I would like to keep only the next 6 Months of dates and then i will filter out all other rows. This formulas needs to be dynamic so the NEXT N months where N=6

I am thinking it can be done with an IF statement but not sure how to write it properly so would need some help here.

Another option I thought could be to Group by dates and filter only the next N months, but this method is extremely slow and mostly hangs because the dataset is large. The file can be found here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gyPL3-BALBqMWX1Mu4KasypS46nk7zUV

The query is named "STAT_APR"

Myabe the IF statement will work better?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@blytonpereira,

You may add step below.

= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", let earliest = List.Min(#"Changed Type"[Date]) in each [Date] < Date.AddMonths(Date.StartOfMonth(earliest), 6))
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@blytonpereira,

You may add step below.

= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", let earliest = List.Min(#"Changed Type"[Date]) in each [Date] < Date.AddMonths(Date.StartOfMonth(earliest), 6))
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Instead of the last Group by step, see if this line speeds up the process

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "First date", each List.Min(#"Removed Columns"[Date]))

This will give you the minimum date from the Date column.  You may now take a difference of months between the Date and this new column and filter out all those >6.

If this is also slow then i guess the best way would be to load all the date and in the DAX formula, we try to exclude all dates beyond 6 months of the first date.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.