Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sujaynadkarni
Frequent Visitor

Powerbi is not reading my xlsx file

Folks -

I have a folder with several excel files.  I connected to the folder to read the "latest" file but I notice that the table is empty aka powerbi does not retrieve any rows.  When I open the file, I see records in excel.  Any idea why powerbi does not return records.

4 REPLIES 4
purrkumar

Even i am facing the same issue. I have aorund 200 excels connected through sharepoint folder. All file templates are same yet it powerbi is not reading 4 of those. It shows blank values and when filtered for non-blank 4 are filtered out. Not sure why

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sujaynadkarni 

You can just manually get the specified latest excel file.

The files in that folder must have the same schema (same number of columns, same datatype, etc.). For get data from folder check this blog: https://insightsoftware.com/blog/power-bi-load-data-from-folder/

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sujaynadkarni ,

It generally does not happen. But you can try these steps.

Option 1:

1. Try converting the portion you want to read to Tables in excel.

2. Close and save the file.

3. Try Get Data > From Excel.

Option 2:

1.Convert the file into CSV and then try reading it.

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!!

Thank you.  The thing is I am pulling the data from a sharepoint folder and fetching the last file.  The odd thing is that powerbi shows data only when I open the excel and format the data as table.  Any idea on how I can automate this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.