Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chuber48
Frequent Visitor

Powerbi PPM calculation

I am trying to calculate Parts per million (PPM) using two different tables

Table 1 RMA contains the fields reject_quantity, reject_type, and reject_date.

Table 2 SHIPPED contains the fields quantity and date_shipped for parts shipped

I am trying to calculate PPM for different time ranges:  This calendar year, Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4.

I am not sure how to combine all this data to get the result that I want.

Currently I have created seperate cards that filter RMA and SHIPPED data to show reject quantities and shipped quantites in separate cards but I am not sure how to combine these values to the final PPM.  Also I wonder if it would be better to do the calculations in some type of column formula (DAX).  I would just like a push in the right direction.  Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4
AndreDinis
Frequent Visitor

Hello @chuber48 

Did you manage to solve this problem?

I have the same problem as you do

Than you

André Dinis

First I created a table that showed quarters as below.  I did this manually but know now that it could be generated.

This contained the columns as shown:

Year    Quarter    YearQ   Externals   Shipped    External PPS   External PPM

Year and Quarter can be either generated with a calendar function or entered manually:

2017       1           20171

Externals are pulled from our Quality database (RMA):

Externals = CALCULATE(SUM(RMA[Quantity]),FILTER(rma,RMA[YearQ]=Quarters[YearQ]),Filter(rma,RMA[REJECT_CATEGORY]="External"))

Shipped comes from our invoiced reports (SIRPT):

Shipped = CALCULATE(sum(SIRPT[Qty shipped]),filter(SIRPT,SIRPT[YearQ]=Quarters[YearQ]))

External pps is calculated as:

External pps = DIVIDE(Quarters[Externals],Quarters[Shipped])

Finally External PPM  is calculated as:

External PPM = format(Quarters[External pps]*1000000,"###,###.00")

These last 2 steps could probably be combined, It has been a while since I completed this.  

If there other ways to do this it would be great to hear about them.  You could use any date format that you want, weekly etc.

Sorry for the format of this email I did know how to get the great graphics that everyone else does.

Thank You

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @chuber48,

I could not figure out how could you calculate the "PPM", could you please offer me the formula? And if you want to combine two table data, you could refer to below steps:

Smple data:

1.PNG

Create a calender table and create relationship

New table:

Calendar = CALENDAR("2018,1,1","2018,12,31")

Capture.PNG

Create a calculated column in calendar table and you could see the result.

Column = RELATED(RMA[reject_quantity])&RELATED(SHIPPED[quantity])

4.PNG

If I misunderstood you, please let me know as soon as possible.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Daniel He,

Thank you for the reply.  I am trying to implement what you suggested.  I am having a problem when I try to use the related command in the calendar table.  I believe it is because of the type of relationship created.  It looks like yours is 1 to 1 where mine is 1 to many.  For example we may have multiple rejects per calendar date and multiple shipments per day.  Below is a screen shot of the relationship screen

Relationships.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.