Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

Powerbi Ignoring Tab characters

I have a dimension that is polulateded using a select distinct on a text column, something like:

select distinct UPPER(colname) from tablename)

PowerBI is telling me a duplicate in the dimension on the one side of the relationship. Investigation shows that there is a value that is almost a duplicate, but one has a tab at the end, the other has not ( e.g. below, where -> represents the tab as i cant paste a tab into the forum).

Value

Value->

So it seems that Power query recognises the tab, and loads the value, but then outside of powerquery, powerbi does not recognise the tab, and sees the value as a duplicate value in a dimension.

To work around this I have had to:

-in Power query - Clean text (remove unprintable chars from the string)

-in Power query - Remove Duplicates.

Is there a disconnect between how powerQuery and PowerBi deal with non printable characteres?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@wilson_smyth wrote:

Is there a disconnect between how powerQuery and PowerBi deal with non printable characteres?

Yes, the tabular model strips trailing whitespace characters when it stores the data, Power Query does not do this.

Your workaround is a valid way of dealing with this scenario.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@wilson_smyth ,

You can go to transform tab -> click replace values to replace the unprintable values to printable values:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@wilson_smyth wrote:

Yes, the tabular model strips trailing whitespace characters when it stores the data, Power Query does not do this.

Your workaround is a valid way of dealing with this scenario.

@d_gosbell thank you for confirming. Its good to understand the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.