Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

PowerQuery | Rename a Cell (Cell(1,1)

Hi Community,

Another simple but tricky one right here(for me).

RenameCell11.PNG

I want to promote those 2 top rows into headers... but look at column 1. How do I remove the date part or the whole ( : m/d/yy ) part before promoting it to a header.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

Taking into account that you only need the first row to be change follow this steps:

- Add Index column (if you use the automatic index will start at zero)

- Add custom column with following formula

if [Index] = 0 then
   Text.Start([Column1],4)
else
  Text.End([Column1],Text.Length([Column1])-6)

The Text.Start with 4 letter will give you the date the Text.End is the full text lenght minus 6 character ("Date" = 4 + ": " = 2) 

- Then remove the Index and Column one

- Promote headers

See image below with the step by step and M code so you can test it.

Column Title.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckksSbVSMDDUNzDTNzIwNFfSUQpKLcssTk1RitXBKm1qYIBXKhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if [Index] = 0 then
Text.Start([Column1],4)
else
Text.End([Column1],Text.Length([Column1])-6)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Column1", "Index"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

I don't think there is an easy way to edit an individual value using Query Editor currently. Here is a similar thread for your reference.

By the way, may I know why you want to edit the cell value before promoting it into a header? Why not promote it into headers first, then just rename the promoted header name? Smiley LOL

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft,

"By the way, may I know why you want to edit the cell value before promoting it into a header? Why not promote it into headers first, then just rename the promoted header name? Smiley LOL"

This was an option for me, but how do I get rid of the : m/d/yy part? it's not always going to be 6/1/17 it could be something else everytime.

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

Taking into account that you only need the first row to be change follow this steps:

- Add Index column (if you use the automatic index will start at zero)

- Add custom column with following formula

if [Index] = 0 then
   Text.Start([Column1],4)
else
  Text.End([Column1],Text.Length([Column1])-6)

The Text.Start with 4 letter will give you the date the Text.End is the full text lenght minus 6 character ("Date" = 4 + ": " = 2) 

- Then remove the Index and Column one

- Promote headers

See image below with the step by step and M code so you can test it.

Column Title.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckksSbVSMDDUNzDTNzIwNFfSUQpKLcssTk1RitXBKm1qYIBXKhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if [Index] = 0 then
Text.Start([Column1],4)
else
Text.End([Column1],Text.Length([Column1])-6)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Column1", "Index"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix for putting that together, worked very well.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

Use the Split columns option in the Tansform tab and then select By number of Characther in this case 4 then you will get two columns one with Date in all of the values and another with :m/d/yy them simply delete the last column.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix,

Yes, that is actually easy but if you look closely, I don't think that would work... 

RenameCell11_endresult.PNG

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

Bu I don't understand what is the final result you want? You wrote "How do I remove the date part or the whole ( : m/d/yy )" what is the part you want to save in your column? the date part or the "Date:" part?

Sorry for making this questions but I getting confused in your messages

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Here's how I envisioned it but don't know how to implement:

RenameCell11_step-by-step.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.