Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

PowerQuery: Merge Queries

It appears that Merge Queries  are case-sensitive, what are you recommendations for composite keys that are of text type?

build another column that transforms the column to lower-case/uppers for both tables? or is there a much more elegant way of doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It would be prefered to have numeric keys.

If you need to stick to text, then I think your proposal is the best suggestion.

Table.NestedJoin has an additional parameter "keyEqualityComparers" that would suggest the possibility to use case-insensitive comparison, but this doesn't seem to work with local evaluation (maybe it works with a database source and query folding).

This parameter was discussed here.

The following code performs a case sensitive left outerjoin from Table1 to Table2, however "performs"  is not very applicable as this is a real performance killer and I wouldn't recommend it for any tables with more than 100 records.

let
    Source1 = Table.Buffer(Table1),
    Source2 = Table.Buffer(Table2),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source1, "Table2", (Record1) => Table.SelectRows(Source2, (Record2) => Comparer.Equals(Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase, Record1[Key1], Record2[Key2]))),
    #"Expanded Table2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Table2", {"Key2", "Value2"}, {"Key2", "Value2"})
in
    #"Expanded Table2"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It would be prefered to have numeric keys.

If you need to stick to text, then I think your proposal is the best suggestion.

Table.NestedJoin has an additional parameter "keyEqualityComparers" that would suggest the possibility to use case-insensitive comparison, but this doesn't seem to work with local evaluation (maybe it works with a database source and query folding).

This parameter was discussed here.

The following code performs a case sensitive left outerjoin from Table1 to Table2, however "performs"  is not very applicable as this is a real performance killer and I wouldn't recommend it for any tables with more than 100 records.

let
    Source1 = Table.Buffer(Table1),
    Source2 = Table.Buffer(Table2),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source1, "Table2", (Record1) => Table.SelectRows(Source2, (Record2) => Comparer.Equals(Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase, Record1[Key1], Record2[Key2]))),
    #"Expanded Table2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Table2", {"Key2", "Value2"}, {"Key2", "Value2"})
in
    #"Expanded Table2"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks Marcel, at least I have 2 choices now.

Its an old post.

We do have a fuzzy merge option now.

Use [IgnoreCase=true, Threshold=1.0] should do a case agonostic merge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @modi123p .

It resolved my needs and those who are looking for the solution,

KarthikKV_0-1626241163469.png

You can also refer to the below article,

https://www.ehansalytics.com/blog/2020/4/27/case-insensitive-merges-in-power-query

Thanks,

Karthik

But as Mat mention in artcilce

Unfortunately this seems to ignore + - signs.

I have three items:

19719201+
19719201-

With this fuzzy matching it's returning all three for item 19719201

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.