Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rookarumba
Helper III
Helper III

PowerQuery/M Code or R script within Power BI

Hi Everyone,

I've been a heavy user of PowerQuery to perform all my ETL before passing it onto PowerBI.

As i'm working with millions of rows of data, PowerQuery can get too slow whenever i edit anything as it will go through step by step.
Thus i'm wondering if R Script would be faster to perform the ETL within PowerBI instead of PowerQuery?

I'm also curious if anyone here uses R Script within PowerBI to clean up their data.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-ljerr-msft , Thanks for the reply. 

Not too sure if you're aware that if we're running huge dataset with lot of ETL, PowerQuery will rerun all the steps whenever you open it thus making it the query extremely slow.

I'm still learning R thus I'm here seeking advice but from what I know, R only execute the required steps and don't rerun the entire query therefore I have the impression that it might be faster as compared to PowerQuery.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rookarumba,

Thus i'm wondering if R Script would be faster to perform the ETL within PowerBI instead of PowerQuery?

Based on my research, R is not a fast language. This is not an accident. R was purposely designed to make data analysis and statistics easier for you to do. It was not designed to make life easier for your computer. So I doubt that using R Script would be faster to perform the ETL within PowerBI instead of PowerQuery. Smiley LOL

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft , Thanks for the reply. 

Not too sure if you're aware that if we're running huge dataset with lot of ETL, PowerQuery will rerun all the steps whenever you open it thus making it the query extremely slow.

I'm still learning R thus I'm here seeking advice but from what I know, R only execute the required steps and don't rerun the entire query therefore I have the impression that it might be faster as compared to PowerQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.