Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

successken
Regular Visitor

PowerPivot to Power BI

I've been using PowerPivot for a few years and I'm just getting into Power BI, specifically desktop. I am also running on Excel 2016. I am in the middle of recreating my models and importing them into Power BI, but when I make changes to my data models and import them it delets the reports already created. Is there a set up where if I make updates to my PowerPivot data models that I can update or refresh my Power BI desktop? Is there an option yet that if I make a change within the data models on Power BI desktop that my PowerPivot data model will also be updated?

4 REPLIES 4
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can now pin to PowerBI.com from the PowerBI tab that is in preview for Excel. You simply highlight the information you want to pin and select Pin from the PowerBI ribbon. This will pin the visual to your dashboard. That visual can be refreshed from Excel using the Pin manager on the PowerBI ribbon.

Not perfect but it helps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I can suggest two options.

1. Create the reports on the PowerBI desktop and then publish to PowerBI - and every data model change and report should be in PowerBI desktop so when you upload you get the latest version.

2. Store the data model ( either PowerBI desktop or Excel ) in Onedrive for business and then create the reports in PowerBI. OneDrive refreshes every one hour so you will have the modified data model updated and no changes in the reports. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-excel-file-onedrive/

3. There is no link between PowerBI Desktop and excel so changes update to each other. One time import only from Excel to PBI.

Konstantinos Ioannou

Migrating from Excel to Power BI is a one way, once off event.  If you do it a second time you will wipe any work you have done in Power BI. I believe that is the way it works, but clearly not what you need.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
kzmanus
Frequent Visitor

Did you try making the changes only on the Power BI side? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.