Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zvm
Helper II
Helper II

PowerPivot in Excel and Power BI produce different join result

Hi,

I have noticed one strange behaviour of a join in PowerPivot for Excel. It is Office365 Excel.

Here is my simple PowerPivot model and table content.

PowerPivotModelPowerPivotModel

And here is the result in Pivot Table in Excel:

Pivot TablePivot Table

As you can see, I get Cartesian product as if there is no join defined if I put only attribute columns on a report.

But if I add column that can be aggregated (measure Actual) then everything is fine!

The same model in Power BI works correctly in every case.

PowerBIReport.PNG

So, what is the reason for such an behaviour in Excel? Does it have anything to do with Excel actaully generating MDX query agianst data source? Whatever is the case, I see it as a bug. 🙂 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @zvm

You may have a look at below similar post.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/9241a547-86b1-4eed-8b92-aece6bff7739/table-...

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @zvm

You may have a look at below similar post.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/9241a547-86b1-4eed-8b92-aece6bff7739/table-...

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherie,

Thank you. That explains the reason for such a behaviour in Power Pivot, with one small remark from my side: I do not try to connect multiple dimensions through the fact, but only one fact and one dimension. But that does not matter...

Why is then Power BI different? Isn't the in the essence the same engine?

Regards,

Zrinko 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.