Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

PowerM Query extract current month

Hello,

I have following table sample:

YearMonthTurnover

Hypothetically the current month is April 2021. Column Year month is not a Date datatype. I connected the YearMonth of this table with a "real" Mastercalendartable. But it gives me way more rows than here, even  tho I did chose left join, which should follow the first tables value, but instead it give me for every date a value as well. I tried inner join as well, still too many rows. 

So now I try to extract the month number and year number into two separate columns (also not date type) like this: 

YearMonthTurnoverYearMonth

Since the table is much more longer I want a last column which shows me only the turnover data of current year and current month.  Whats the best way to do it? 

Thank you very much in advance.

Best. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Tie your "YearMonth"  column value to a fake date, for example the first date of each month.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjQwVdJRMlCK1YFyTYBcYyBAEzExNkGIGINEjIAAVcgECJRiYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [YearMonth = _t, Turnover = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "YearMonthDate", each #date(Number.From(Text.Start([YearMonth],4)),Number.From(Text.End([YearMonth],2)),1))
in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Date", each Date.From(Text.From(Number.ToText([YearMonth])&"01", "en-US"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Turnover", type number}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"YearMonth"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Hope this helps

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88 ,

There's no need to use calendar table. You will need to create a custom column to get current yearmonth and compare it with yearmonth column.

Check the following formula.

custom = if [YearMonth] = DateTime.ToText(DateTime.LocalNow(),"yyyyMM") then 1 else 0

4.PNG

Then filter the 0 values and remove the custom column.

The complete m code is as follows.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjQwVdJRMlCK1YFyTYBcYyBAEzExNkGIGINEjIAAVcgECJRiYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [YearMonth = _t, Turnover = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [YearMonth] = DateTime.ToText(DateTime.LocalNow(),"yyyyMM") then 1 else 0),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88 ,

There's no need to use calendar table. You will need to create a custom column to get current yearmonth and compare it with yearmonth column.

Check the following formula.

custom = if [YearMonth] = DateTime.ToText(DateTime.LocalNow(),"yyyyMM") then 1 else 0

4.PNG

Then filter the 0 values and remove the custom column.

The complete m code is as follows.

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [YearMonth] = DateTime.ToText(DateTime.LocalNow(),"yyyyMM") then 1 else 0),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hello @v-jayw-msft @Ashish_Mathur @lbendlin ,

thank you very much for the support! All very good approaches, that very well.

You guys proof again that there is many ways to lead to the same outcome.

👍

Best. 

You are welcome.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Date", each Date.From(Text.From(Number.ToText([YearMonth])&"01", "en-US"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Turnover", type number}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"YearMonth"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Hope this helps

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Tie your "YearMonth"  column value to a fake date, for example the first date of each month.

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "YearMonthDate", each #date(Number.From(Text.Start([YearMonth],4)),Number.From(Text.End([YearMonth],2)),1))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.