Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aznariy
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBi - unable to convert

Can somebody from PowerBi team expain me this? Why tool tries to convert, where conversion is not needed at all??

PowerBi_1.png

PowerBi_2.png

PowerBi_3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello parry2k.

If you are referring to Advanced Editor window as "M" code, where let / in commands are, I have updated that code with the conversion

PowerBi_1.png as it was Int64.type before.

I didn't know that updating column data type from the UI has no effect, will make a note for future. 

Thanks!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aznariy seems like there is a step where this column is getting converted to number and then later you are changing it to text. Can you share "M" code, it will help to identify the issue.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hello parry2k.

If you are referring to Advanced Editor window as "M" code, where let / in commands are, I have updated that code with the conversion

PowerBi_1.png as it was Int64.type before.

I didn't know that updating column data type from the UI has no effect, will make a note for future. 

Thanks!  

@aznariy changing from the UI has impact but depends if you are adding a new step or you are changing on existing step, if you are changing type thru UI on existing step, it will update the M code if you  are at other step, it will add another step but keep previous data type there. You need to understand how power query step works and then it is easy. Hope it make sense.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k I still don't get why PowerBi Desktop (since we are talking about desktop version) offers only to insert the step, but not update the existing from the UI when user changes data type for a column?

Is user enforced to use Advanced Editor, where "M" code is sitting?

I mean, not everybody is familiar with coding capabilities of the tool 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.