Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Luke_Gems

PowerBi Exporting Data in Weird Layout

Hi all,

I have been using PowerBi for about a month and things have been going well albeit slowly while I get used to how it all works.

Currently, I am trying to export some data from a visualization in PowerBi Desktop but when I do the data in the CSV is in such a strange format I can not use it to create a chart.

The table in PowerBi looks like this:

table in poweer.PNG

However, when I then export the data I'd assume that it would be almost identical but instead, t is separating the dates into individual rows which makes it hard to manage in Excel like so:

excel table.PNG

Why is powerBi exporting the data in such a strange format? I want it to be the same as in the visualisation and combine the data by day. Then by the discountcode as a column, instead of each row being a new one for all data points.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Luke_Gems

As @spuder mentioned, the export data option only exports the raw data in your table view. It won't keep the visual structure after exporting to CSV file. It looks like you used a matrix to display data, the exported result might be what you stored in source table. So, you need to format the layout of these data in excel again to achieve your desired output.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Test.PNG

Try with summarized export

spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Luke_Gems

These are the raw data power bi has. 

These raw data will be visualized on that visual you'd like to have. Neither wether it is a table or a graph.

So you get as I said only raw data when you export them and have to visualize them in excel as well.

Easiest would be Pivot Table and Pivot Diagram.

Using Excel 2010? and higher you can nearby automatically generate an Pivot table. Because Excel makes a suggestion for that.

Try it, it is very easy. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.