Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avivba
Regular Visitor

PowerBi Desktop replace excel file

Hi, I recentaly edit my excel file source and I would like to replace it with my current excel file with out losing my dashboard relashanshoips. Any ideas how I can do that?

To simplfy, I like to replace the current excel file with an updated file?

Thanks,

Aviv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@avivba Try to remove the column that is no longer there first from PBI, then refresh it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@avivba If the columns are the same you can just update the existing file that Power BI is connected to. If that doesn't work, you can edit the source info in Power BI to point at the new file and the data should update.

You may get breaking changes if the columns don't match up though.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the replay,

The file is the same file but I add columns and rows, which mean I need to replace the source.

How I can edit the source info in Power BI to point at the new file and the data should ?

Thanks,

Aviv

@avivba You can do this in two ways.

1) Edit Queries -> Highlight the Query (table) you want -> Click on the Wheel icon to the right of "Source" under the "Applied Steps" on the far right. This will pop up you initial connection and you can replace it.

2) Edit Queries -> Highligh the Query (table) you want -> click on "Advanced Editor" in the top ribbon -> Find and replace the data file path.

The file I am traying to replace is the same file, which mean the same location.

I am going into, Edit Queries, and I have two queries on the left side - Query Errors & Other Queries, which one I should work on?

Going throgh the steps, I can replace the path, but since it is the same file I don't see any change - Should I save the updated file under a diffrent name at a diffrnet path?

Thnaks,

Aviv

@avivba If it's the same file just refresh the query...

Unfortenatly it dose not paull the new rows I add and give me an error message on the column I removed, any idea way?

@avivba Try to remove the column that is no longer there first from PBI, then refresh it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.