cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdec08 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

PowerBi Desktop does not have PowerBi service live connection in the preview features menu

I would like to connect to powerbi service live connection.  I have downloaded the latest Powerbi Desktop as well as established an On premise gateway in powerbi service.  I've restarted powerbi desktop a few times however, when I go to file-->options & settings-->options-->preview features.  The live connection option is not listed under preview features.  I also tried to go to Get Data--> online services, and I don't have an option to connect to powerbi service online.  Is there a reason I can't access this?  I'm also using powerbi Premium, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerBi Desktop does not have PowerBi service live connection in the preview features menu

Hey,

using the latest Power BI Desktop release June 2018 (Version: 2.59.5135.581 64-bit) you will find the possibility to connect to datasets from Power BI service here:

Get Data --> ...

image.png

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerBi Desktop does not have PowerBi service live connection in the preview features menu

Hey,

using the latest Power BI Desktop release June 2018 (Version: 2.59.5135.581 64-bit) you will find the possibility to connect to datasets from Power BI service here:

Get Data --> ...

image.png

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
tdec08 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank You! This was very helpful.  

majabhi New Member

What about this bolg/article?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connecting-to-datasets-in-the-power-bi-service-from-desktop...

Getting Started

To get started with this feature, you'll first need to enable the preview option in Power BI Desktop. Navigate to File > Options and settings > Options > Preview features and enable Power BI Service Live Connection. You'll need to restart Desktop in order for the option to take effect.

Is the above option not available i do not see it in my desktop latest version either so asking and the only way around is the way you mentioned?

After i upgraded my version of the Desktop i do not see Power BI Service under Get Data -> Online Services..

The only way to do this is to Get Data -> Power BI -> POwer BI DatSets?