cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amittal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

PowerBi Desktop data refresh and export to PDF

Hi, We are having issue with export to PDF and data refresh - below is scenario:

On PBI desktop I changed location parameter from A to B - some of the report visualization reflects data from location B but not all (they continue to show data from A) and exported PDF has mixbag data from location A and B. Is this a defect in PBI or how can we guarentee all data is refreshed before exporting to PDF (we have big multi page report). 

6 REPLIES 6
amittal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Incomplete Power BI data refresh after change of query parameter

Hi, We have a big PBI report ( a scorecard with 20+ tables, multiple fact tables and KPI calculation using DAX) which has location as parameter. We need to produce PDF export of this report to business. 

We have implemented this using query parameter - inorder to generate report for individual location, we change this query parameter (location) and export to PDF. 

Issue: When we look at export, there are times when PBI data is not fully refreshed after changing location - Is there a way to identify in PBI that all the data has been refreshed in all visualization with new parameter(location). 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerBi Desktop data refresh and export to PDF

Hi @amittal,

1. How many data sources are there? Do they all use that parameter?

2. Did you apply the changes?

3. Did you refresh the report before exporting a PDF?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amittal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-jiascu-msft - Thanks for getting back. please find below respose to your questions.

How many data sources are there? Do they all use that parameter?

Report is using single data source (Azure SQL server). Location level parameter is used to calculate most of the measure against this data source.

Did you apply the changes?

We go to “Edit Parameter” and select the location , Apply changes

Refresh Location Parameter table manually. This additional step is taken because only after refreshing the parameter table the value of parameter is updated/refreshed.

Did you refresh the report before exporting a PDF?

We were not refreshing the whole report as till very recently all the visualisations were getting refreshed (with correct values) after following steps mentioned above.

But after encountering this issue as a workaround we have tried refreshing the whole report also but still we have found reports retaining values with the old parameter rather than the updated one.

I don't think issue is with export to PDF, its with refresh of data set/visaulization after change in parameter.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @amittal,

I agree with you. The issue should be from the refreshing of dataset or reports. 

1. What will happen if you interact with the retained values?

2. Which version of the Desktop do you have?

3. Which visuals? Are they custom visuals?

4. Could you make it more clear, please? Location level parameter is used to calculate most of the measure against this data source. I'm afraid we can't use a parameter in a measure. Maybe you did something else.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amittal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-jiascu-msft 

What will happen if you interact with the retained values?

We don’t interact with retained values – this is a scorecard and after refresh just needs to be published to business stakeholders using PDF exports.

Which version of the Desktop do you have?

2.65.5313.1381 64-bit (December, 2018)

Which visuals? Are they custom visuals?

We are not using any custom visuals – we are using all PBI pre-packaged visuals (tables, matrix and graphs/line chart) all of them have issue.

Could you make it more clear, please? Location level parameter is used to calculate most of the measure against this data source. I'm afraid we can't use a parameter in a measure. Maybe you did something else.

We use input parameters to build measures using DAX.

Find below example of one of the measures – it is using 2 parameters (snapshotDate and SiteLocation) to calculate MTD revenue based on SiteLocation

MTDRevenue = CALCULATE(SUM('MeasureAggregatedGL'[MTDAmount]),FILTER(MeasureAggregatedGL,MeasureAggregatedGL[Lineage]="Actual"),FILTER(SitePnL,SitePnL[GLHierarchyCatDesc - Copy.2]<>"OtherIncome"),FILTER(ALL(SitePnL[GLHierarchyCatDesc]),SEARCH("Revenue_",SitePnL[GLHierarchyCatDesc],1,0)>0),FILTER('MeasureAggregatedGL',MeasureAggregatedGL[SiteLocationDim.Site]=SELECTEDVALUE(SiteLocation[SiteLocation])),FILTER(MeasureAggregatedGL,MeasureAggregatedGL[Date.End of Month].[Date]=SELECTEDVALUE(SnapshotDate[SnapshotDate])))

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @amittal ,

What my first question do is to check if the data is correct before exporting. 

I would suggest you file a support ticket here. It seems fine in my test that is based on your description. 

Best Regards,