Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aznariy
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBi Desktop: Unable to see line in the Line and Stacked Line Chart

PowerBi Desktop v 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a table with 2 columns (Enter whatever names you would like)

PowerBi_problem.png

2. Create Matrix and Stacked column chart visualizations. Place your columns in there. Observe that data is displayed correctly

PowerBi_problem.png

3. Create Line and Stacked Column Chart visualizations. place your column in there as Shared axis - Date column and Line values - Amount column.  Observe that no line is displayed, rather big dot in the middle of the visualization. 

PowerBi_problem.png

Shouldn't it be line image below? Is this a bug in PowerBi? Please advise whoever is familiar with the matter. Thanks!

PowerBi_problem.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aznariy,

In your Line and stacked column chart, you have placed Date hierarchy in the shared axis. The top level is Year, as all records are in year 2018, there is only one dot display in the chart. You can drill down to next level or expand all levels to see lines. For more information about drill down, please refer to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-drill

w3.PNG

You can also remove hierarchy for date column in Shared Axis, see: 

w4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your attempt to help. I did as you suggested and now getting simple horizontal line. I filtered Date Sharex axis by Date.  

PowerBiProblem.png

Hi @aznariy,

It looks like the issue is resolved now, right? If it is, may I close the thread? 

If there is any other issue, please feel free let me know. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So I tried to display the line on the chart as a wave line (not simle horizontal line) and ended up with the solution of selecting SUM in the Values option. But if I select that, I'm getting data all the way to April 2019 (I never had this data in the original table if you look at the original question). Please take a look below

PowerBiProblem.png 

Among other options I saw Average, Minimum, Maximum and others,but none of them lead to the desired result..

Hi @aznariy,

You can change X axis type to Categorical: 

q4.PNG

Average, Minimum, Maximum, count and etc are aggregations for data. The result is depend on your raw data. You can change the line chart to table visual, you will see aggregation value are the same for each date, so the line is the straight. You can learn more about aggregation from this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-aggregates

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Unfortunately I am getting simple horizontal line, but not the result I wanted in my original question. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.