Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JakeR

PowerBi Desktop Automatic Refresh

Hi All ,

I have a pbix file connected to Quickbase.  I'm finding that, to get up-to-date reports to the user, I'm having to go in every day and open my desktop file and:

1. Click refresh for the data sources
  2. Publish that data to the PowerBi service

I see a lot of responses out there showing how to set up auto-refresh in the 'Service' side of PowerBi.  I've done this, but it doesn't seem to in any way resolve the need to log into the Desktop application. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues?  Are there any common solutions to this problem? Am I misunderstanding how this needs to be setup?

Thanks!

Jake

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @JakeR !

This part can be frustrating until you get it working the first time (it was for me any way).

If you any part of your model is made up of local data (e.g., file on your pc or on-prem DB) you will need to install a gateway; personal gateway for files from your PC & enterprise gateway for data coming from an on-prem DB.

If all data in your model exists on line, you shouldn't need a gateway.

I have seen it recommended that one should fire off a refresh manually for all reports that have a scheduled refresh (I saw this in one of Curbal's YouTube vids). Any time I set up a refresh schedule, I manually fire it off right after I set up the refresh schedule. Maybe you can try that?

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Once you've published to the online service and set up a refresh cycle, you can view the report in a web browser. You can share the reports with your users assuming they have the correct software license. There is no need to open the desktop file at all. The desktop program is an authoring tool, not meant for consuming finished reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.