Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

plaplant
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI won't open - no error - only a spinning flashing icon on my pointer

Hello, I was using PowerBi on Friday and it all of a sudden wouldn't work.  I closed out of the desktop files I was working on and when I tried loading PowerBI again it would appear as if it was loading the desktop version and then just not go anywhere.   I am not getting an error message and when I hover over the screen I'm just seeing my mouse pointer with a blinking spinning circle on it.   I have my companies support team looking into it but as I'm working 100% in PowerBI I can't do anything until this is fixed.   Has anyone run across this and no how to fix it?   I've uninstalled and re-installed both x64 and standard.  I also tried loading up a version from a few months ago.   I get the message saying download a new version of PowerBI but it still doesn't go beyond what I mentioned above.   I'm not sure if there is anything else I can try on my own.   

Any help is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for the response.   I believe the issue turned out to be something specific to our company as many users were without access.   I honestly don't know what the solution they implemented was but it might have something to do with some different policies they had set up.   I'm able to access PBI Desktop now but cannot provide a solution to this issue.    

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @plaplant ,

Please see if these posts are helpful.

Solved: Power BI desktop won't start 

Solved: Power BI Desktop will not launch 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response.   I believe the issue turned out to be something specific to our company as many users were without access.   I honestly don't know what the solution they implemented was but it might have something to do with some different policies they had set up.   I'm able to access PBI Desktop now but cannot provide a solution to this issue.    

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@plaplant , hope you have cleared the windows temp folder before new installation.

I think you should log a support ticket  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.