Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CPhelan
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI to Query AD Group Memberships

Hello,

I'm relatively new to powerbi.  I came up with a series of powerbi reports to show Active Directory group memberships.  I used powershell to querry a list of users of an AD group then return their full group memberships,  along with SAMaccountname, Mail, UPN, First Name, Last Name, Title, Department, Division, Department Number, Primary Affiliation, and whether the user account is Enabled.  The data from the script is exported to a CSV file then I build my report in powerbi.  This is not a very eligant solution but it works for my first intention which was to report which retired staff still had access across my organization. These powerbi reports allow me to easily querry user group memberships at a glance instead of running a 1:1 script.  The biggest downside, I need to re-run the powershell script then re-import the tables in my report to get the most current data.  I've got 56 different reports so far.  

Now what I'd like to do is use the Active Directory data source directly in PowerBI, so I have the most current data and replicate the functionality of the individual reports.  This has proven to be a pretty difficult task.  I've added these Tables from the AD source: Group, inetOrgPerson, and user so far.  

my biggest obstacles:

show enabled and disabled user accounts

Connect the Group table to inetOrgPerson in order to return user Group memberships.  

I would apreciate any help at all.

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CPhelan
Frequent Visitor

Hi  @v-alq-msft ,

There is an active directory connector in Get Data from PowerBI Desktop.  I was able to solve my issues. The first step:  I selected these tables from the AD connector AD: Group, InetorgPerson, User.  The next step was to expand the right columns.

Group Table

expand column Member and select these fields: Display Name, Member Of, Department,  EduPersonPrimary, SamAccountName, User Account Control,

InetorgPerson Table

Expand column EduPerson and select this fields: EduPersonPrimaryAffiliation

Expand column SamAccountName and select this field: Security Principal

Expand column  OrganizationalPerson and select these fields: Department, Division, Given Name, Title

User Table

Expand column: User and select these fields:  DepartmentNumber,  UserPrincipalName, UserAccountControl.

Expand column: Person and select this field:  SN (this is the surname attribute)

Expand column: SecurityPrincipal and select this field: SamAccountName

I linked all the tables: Group, InetorgPerson, and User using SamAccountName

My next issue was filtering active and inactive accounts.  I read another post by @niark Solved: AD useraccountcontrol integer conversion - Microsoft Power BI Community to figure out the integer conversion for the user account control. 

CPhelan_2-1610990886620.png

I opted to create a spreadsheet with the converted user account integers

The last step was to link the user table and my spreadsheet using UACProperties, then group active account and disabled accounts.

I use the UACProperties to filter the active accounts on each report page.

In my daily tasks as an enterprise desktop admin, I regularly run powershell applets to get AD user group membership and add or remove users from groups.  PowerBI has allowed me to get a much bigger picture of the users, which groups they belong to and discover issues across my organization.

Charles

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
CPhelan
Frequent Visitor

Hi @santh00 ,

Even though the SamAccountName in groups and Users do not match, its important to create the link between them.  Double click on the link and make sure the "Cardinality" is set "Many to Many" and cross filter direction set to both. Hope this helps

Charles

SAM relationship between Group and User.png

CPhelan
Frequent Visitor

Hi  @v-alq-msft ,

There is an active directory connector in Get Data from PowerBI Desktop.  I was able to solve my issues. The first step:  I selected these tables from the AD connector AD: Group, InetorgPerson, User.  The next step was to expand the right columns.

Group Table

expand column Member and select these fields: Display Name, Member Of, Department,  EduPersonPrimary, SamAccountName, User Account Control,

InetorgPerson Table

Expand column  OrganizationalPerson and select these fields: Department, Division, Given Name, Title

User Table

Expand column: User and select these fields:  DepartmentNumber,  UserPrincipalName, UserAccountControl.

Expand column: Person and select this field:  SN (this is the surname attribute)

I linked all the tables: Group, InetorgPerson, and User using SamAccountName

My next issue was filtering active and inactive accounts.  I read another post by @niark Solved: AD useraccountcontrol integer conversion - Microsoft Power BI Community to figure out the integer conversion for the user account control. 

CPhelan_2-1610990886620.png

I opted to create a spreadsheet with the converted user account integers

The last step was to link the user table and my spreadsheet using UACProperties, then group active account and disabled accounts.

I use the UACProperties to filter the active accounts on each report page.

In my daily tasks as an enterprise desktop admin, I regularly run powershell applets to get AD user group membership and add or remove users from groups.  PowerBI has allowed me to get a much bigger picture of the users, which groups they belong to and discover issues across my organization.

Charles

Ls,

Many Thanks. But I miss some column (the Bold ones) :

Group Table

InetorgPerson Table

User Table

What did I do wrong ?

Hi @CPhelan  SamAccountName in groups and Users are different for me is there any other common column that we can use and also I didn't find any column other than SamAccountName in groups that you mentioned and display name is also empty

My requirement is to get user email and which group they belong to in organization using active directory...I get users and group in two tables but didn't able to merge 

This post really helped me today, Charles. Thanks very much for sharing the results of your spelunking with us.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @CPhelan 

Based on my research, there is no Azure Active Directory connector in powerbi desktop currently. You could try howto-use-azure-monitor-workbooks to get azure ad data.

Best Regards

Allan

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an AD connector and you can access groups and users exactly as the commenters above explained. Not sure why you'd send people off to that irrelevant link after saying it's not possible?

I am trying to work through this as well and I believe the AD connector is only for on-prem AD, not Azure AD.

I am also trying to retrieve group membership from Azure AD and have not yet found a direct connection in PowerBI or PowerApps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.