Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

droidmaterial
Employee
Employee

PowerBI reading column with multiple values as Table

I'm trying to create a dashboard from a SharePoint list. The list contains few columns with multiple names. The problem is when I try to read the same in PowerBI, these columns are being read as table format and when I try to expand, it shows there is no data though there is data present. In a similar style, if a column contains only one name, then I was able to extract the names out of it but it doesn't work the same way if there are more than one name. Did anyone face similar issue and were you able to solve it, if so, how?

Annotation 2019-09-23 132633.jpg

Sample data:

ColA     ColB         ColC

1       John Doe     John Doe, Tim Apple

2       Tim Apple    Tim Apple, Steve Cook

3       Steve Cook   Steve Cook

From the above, I was able to work successfully on ColB but ColC doesn't return any value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
droidmaterial
Employee
Employee

I was able to figure this out.

There is a column which is retreived along with other columns during this process named "FieldValuesAsText". Using this column, we can convert more than one column with data as lists, tables etc and extract the data values at the same time.
This worked flawlessly and it retreived the data in shorter time as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
droidmaterial
Employee
Employee

I was able to figure this out.

There is a column which is retreived along with other columns during this process named "FieldValuesAsText". Using this column, we can convert more than one column with data as lists, tables etc and extract the data values at the same time.
This worked flawlessly and it retreived the data in shorter time as well.

Many thanks to you, saving my sleep. It was really tough figuring out on my own. Thanks for posting your suggestion. 

This solution looks very simple and effective. Which lead me to another question - Why did PowerBI confuse us by simply not showing us only this columns. Afterall, most of the users who use SharePoint as the data-source would first want to see the direct columns from the SharePoint list. What might be the reason PowerBI did what it did?

@droidmaterial 

Glad to hear that. You may help accept the solution above. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.