Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tmrrow
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI opening to black screen. DPI Scaling issue

We have a couple of users with an issue opening PowerBI.

This issue has been narrowed down to 4k laptops with multiple 1440p monitors connected. 
They can open PowerBI correctly on the laptop screen at 4k / any DPI scale...and move the application to extended monitors without a problem. The issue is when the laptop is docked and only using two connected screens. No matter the configuration PowerBI will open as below. 

Windows 10, November PowerBI. Cleared temp files and appdata folders related to PowerBI. Tried 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings' under executable options. Also tried compat modes. 

screen.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like I am having a similar issue. This is my home PC so refreshing my profile seems a bit difficult:PBI screen issue.JPG

This is made on a 4k screen. The huge black piece around the report stops the report from being viewed or changed.

If I scale down the desktop resolution settings, then open the report again, it comes up normal. I then have to switch back to 4k and it stays normal. Would be good to fix.

Voyager
Frequent Visitor

I am having this exact same issue. Also, it was working fine, and then this issue began happening as soon as I updated to March 2018's PowerBI version.

Any new solutions?

Jack 

Hi Voyager, 

I logged a ticket with Microsoft and went through troubleshooting. 

I ended up noticing that this issue did not occur when I logged into the laptop..so it pointed to a profile based issue. 
I blew away the users profile and that fixed the problem. 

Other fixes were to have the same DPI scaling setting across all screens. This was not great when there was a mix of high resolution and lower resolution screens. 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tmrrow,

According to your description above, it seems to be an device related issue with Power BI Desktop. So I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance on it. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.