Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jamesomahony

PowerBI not starting correctly

Hey guys,

I work in IT for a large company. We have been installing the free edition of Power BI on people's machines as this is generally all they require. Usually I have no problems, but I came across an issue today.

The installation went fine. PowerBI started up fine. It asked me to create an account as usual which I did using the user's company email. Now it seems to be stuck. I've tried killing it and re-opening and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. When the program opens, all I can see is a black box and some of the icons on the right hand side, none of which can be used. Also the Sign In button up the top is distorted and unusable.

I am able to run as admin using my own admin credentials and the program opens fine using my account.

Not sure where to go from here - any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamesomahony,

Can you please share more detail contents about this? It will be help for troubleshooting.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hey guys,

thanks for the response. Unfortunately the user is out of office today so i can't check this out today.

Basically everything works perfect when I run as admin. But when I just run the program normally, it opens but only shows a large black rectangle and some power bi icons down the right hand side, none of which can be used.

I will try to get a screenshot asap.

Regards,

James

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Go in as admin and go to File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics and turn on Tracing. Close out and go back in with the user credentials and then check the trace log.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.