Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vnchoudhary
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am new to PowerBI desktop, I have installed PowerBI 64 bit. I have already Oracle client and Visual studio installed on my machine. As recomended on Link I have downloaded and configured  64-bit ODAC 12c Release 4 (12.1.0.2.4) Xcopy for Windows x64. After doing all these thing I am not able to establish connection between PowerBI desktop and Oracle DB getting error message once I fill the db connection details is "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" . However I am able to establish connection with SQL server. 

Here are some details that may Help you in providing solution of this:

- I have Visual studio 2010

- Then I installed oracle client in location ""C:\Program Files (x86)\sqldeveloper"

- Then I have installed the Power BI desktop 64 Bit

- Then I have downloaded the 64-bit ODAC

- Extract ODAC121024Xcopy_x64 and run install batch file from path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle_instantclient_12_1"

- Open PowerBi desktop, select getdata and select Oracle DB. specified DB connection details and getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Could you please help me out in this issue

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Viveka,

I'm definitely not an expert on Oracle databases or connecting to them.  I can only tell you what worked for me.  One thing I notice is that you installed the "Xcopy" files and I'm wondering if for some reason you didn't get all the files you need.

Also, there are several posts under the subject "Oracle" that have useful info that may help you.  If you do decide to reinstall the Oracle components, you need to uninstall what you've already done first.

Here's what I recently did on one of our machines that worked for me. 

1. I downloaded the 64-bit ODAC121024_x64.zip file rather than the "Xcopy" file. 
  2. Put the zip file into a temporary directory and unzip it there.  Make sure that there are no spaces in the directory name or path to it.
  3. When you've unzipped it, you should see the "setup" application.  Run that and eventually you'll see the "configuration installer".  You should be able to stay with the defaults for most steps.
  4. When you get to the "DB Connection Configuration" step, it's important that you fill in the requested information.  Here are some tips.

Connection Alias

Enter what you want to name this database. When you get data in Power BI, you’ll use this as the “Server Name”.

Port Number

(default 1521) only change if necessary for your database

Database Host Name

This is how the database is found in your network. May be an IP address for the database server.

Database Service Name

(default to ORCL) This may be different for your database

This is important since the installer sets up the tnsnames.ora file that the database client uses to connect with the Oracle database.
  5. After you made the entries, finish the installation process and reboot your machine.

You should now be able to get to your Oracle database with Power BI when you use "Get Data" and select the "Oracle" database option.

View solution in original post

Hi Bfrancis,

Thanks a lot for your valuable solution and it works for me. I have uninstalled all oracle components and then install the ODAC121024_x64.zip and it works for me like a charm. 

Earlirt I have installed 64-bit ODAC 12c Release 4 (12.1.0.2.4) Xcopy for Windows x64 as recommended by Power BI, Link

Regards,

Viveka

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
twined20

Hi,

I am getting the same error, was this thread resolved?

Regards

Syed 

arify
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Even if the issue was about the driver installation, that shouldn't be the error message you're seeing. Is it a pop-up with title "Unexpected Error"?

There might be a bug. Can you please:

1. Enable tracing (File > Options > Diagnostics > Enable Tracing) and then open traces folder in that dialog,
  2. Reproduce the error
  3. Close PBI, and send those new log files appeared in the traces folder to us in a Send A Frown email?

Thanks for your help

Oguz

Hi Arify,

I have sent you the logfile, I was trying to establish by Host name and by Oracle TNS name. But It was throwing same error message in both cases.

Regards,

Viveka

Hi Viveka,

When and how did you send the log files? I couldn't find it in my inbox and the Frown team couldn't find it either. Can you send a frown in PBI Desktop?

Thanks

Hi Oguz,

I have sent you log file on emailID "mailer@lithium.com" yesterday, this is the mailID I got your response in my mail box, hoping you have received that log file. If not could you please share your emailId for that.

Regards,

Viveka

In PBI Desktop, there's a smiley face on the upper-left corner, if you click the little arrow next to it, there's also a sad face "Frown". Can you send us an email through that button?

Thanks

I have done this. Let me know if you need any other details.

Regards,

Viveka

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.