Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Omabuwa1995
Regular Visitor

PowerBI date formatting issue

Whenever I try to select a date range, PowerBI muddles up the report period and gives reports for the wrong dates. For example, if I try to select the range 01 Feb 2018 - 01 March 2018 via the calendar, the report period gives an output of 02/01/2018 - 03/01/2018. 

The PowerBI apparently uses the UK date format, however in that example it would attempt to draw data from the 2 January - 3 January. 

WPP Coretech   Power BI (1).png

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When i am creating a dashboard in Power BI, i have a coloumn named as Month of Data. 

In the desktop version the Date is displayed correctly as "Apr" or "May" but when i publish this and opens in the web version the date changes automatically to "01/04/2019 00:00".

Can anyone help me? I need the date format same as desktop version.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Omabuwa1995,

The date format in the slicer textbox is based on the OS region date format. 

In your scenario, when you select the 01 Feb 2018 in the calendar for the start date, the slicer start textbox will displays as 2/1/2018 is due to the OS region date format is dd/mm/yyyy. If you would like to display it in UK  mm/dd/yyyy format, you can change your OS region date format then reopen the pbix file. 

But if OS date format is dd/mm/yyyy, once you select 01 Feb 2018 in the calendar, it's not supported to display it as 2 January (2/1/2018). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The OS date format is the UK DD/MM/YYYY yet PowerBI still uses the US date format. 

My issue is similar to this issue: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-format-changing-desktop-to-web/td-p/117204

Yet the solution provided doesn't work, as the PowerBI is already set to use the default browser language.  

Hi @Omabuwa1995,

Do you use the Power BI desktop downloaded from download site or Windows store? 

Based on my test with Power BI desktop latest version 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018) downloaded from download page, the slicer display date in the format as OS date format settings. See: 

q2.PNG

In your scenario, please update the Power BI desktop version then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I am using the PowerBI web version, not the desktop. 

Hi @Omabuwa1995,

On Power BI service, the date format within the slicer depends on the browser language. Based on my test, if set the Chrome browser as English (United Kingdom), which date format is dd/mm/yyyy, then slicer date is displaying in the same format as well. 

q7.PNGq6.PNG

So please which language you used for the browser. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

I have exactly same problem.

Windows region setting is correct, also followed steps to change the language setting for browser, set the PowerBI servise language to Browser. Still BI display US format, and I'm in Australia.

Any other place to check?

p.s. this idea of relying on user Brower setting is not great I have to say. As we publish report to all the executives, have to tell them to change their browser setting to view it correctly?

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

My browser display language is English UK yet the slicer still shows a US date format. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.