Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CamiloG

PowerBI data import - blanks being autopopulated

In an SQL database, a column (EXTENSION) has blanks, however, when the data is imported into PowerBI, some blanks get filled with the data of the previous cell.

SQL 

CamiloG_3-1665154474476.png

PowerBI 

CamiloG_4-1665154536577.png

However, in the row view, I can see the field (EXTENSION) is empty

CamiloG_5-1665154663278.png

How can I avoid PowerBI to autofill the values when the field is blank?

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @CamiloG ,
I have never seen anything like that happening before.
Please check the M-code that has been generated automatically in the editor to see if any steps have been created there that do this fill-down. Then delete them.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Nothing unusual was added, however, I just added a new column based on the one showing the errors. I check for blanks and make them spaces in a new column. Somehow, the new column does show the correct format.

TABPHONE_Table1 = Table.AddColumn(TABPHONE_Table,"EXT",
        each if [EXTENSION] = "" then " " else [EXTENSION]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(TABPHONE_Table1,{"EXTENSION"})

I still would like to know where the error is coming from, as there is the potential on having more tables with similar issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a thought, Blanks and nulls are not the same even though they may look the same in SQL in your query window, "depending". They are handled completely differently in SQL and PBI. Not sure if this is your issue but it's worth looking into.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found that, in general, null is a much better choice than BLANK. It will still show as an empty data point in your report and is much more likely to be handled correctly. That being said, it is very important to understand the differences.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.