Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mpeterson

PowerBI changes data table name to RealTimeData and creates errors

I am sending data to PowerBI from Azure storage using a stream analytics job.  I can see my data table in the PowerBI interface (I called it deviceData), but when I create a report from the data stream, PowerBI changes the name of the data table to RealTimeData.  Then when I create any visuals, I get errors saying "we are not able to identify the following fields: RealTimeData. Please update the visual with fields that exist in the dataset".  How do I get PowerBI to not change the name of my data table so it can find the data?  

pic1.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
dllama

We have the same issue. Table named "Telemetry" in Stream Analytics, but when trying to use the dataset in Power BI online the name is changed to RealTimeData and you get error: "We are not able to identify the following fields: RealTimeData. Please update the visual with fields that exist in the dataset."

If you connect to the dataset from Power BI Desktop the table name is correct and reports can be created successfully, but as soon as you publish the error pop up again. 

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@mpeterson wrote:

I am sending data to PowerBI from Azure storage using a stream analytics job.  I can see my data table in the PowerBI interface (I called it deviceData), but when I create a report from the data stream, PowerBI changes the name of the data table to RealTimeData.  Then when I create any visuals, I get errors saying "we are not able to identify the following fields: RealTimeData. Please update the visual with fields that exist in the dataset".  How do I get PowerBI to not change the name of my data table so it can find the data?  

@mpeterson

When enable "Historic data analysis" for a streaming dataset, by default, the historic data table is called "RealTimeData". I was trying to reproduce the error in your case, however the visual just show correctly.

Could you be more specific about the problematic visuals and upload a snapshot of the error message?

I was following the IoT setup tutorial in Azure so I created a stream analytics to get the data to Power BI.  I can see my data table in Power BI but now when I try to change it and turn off the historic data I get an error that "something went wrong".  

Regarding which visualizations are affected, it is all of them as far as I can tell.  I tried line graph, map, and GIS map.  All with the same error.  

Setup in Azure sends data to my "deviceData" dataset.  

Azure setup.jpg

Visualizations are all affected by the change to "realTimeData"

visualization error.jpg

I can't change the historical data option to off.  I get this error.  

database error.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with the real time streaming dashboards, I have faced the same issue several times this past days. Everytime I set the new table name from ASA job, Power BI changes the name to RealTimeData. Finally I gave up and began setting the table names "RealTimeData". 

In addition to your issue, when I try to update the dataset schema from the dataset actions menu, I get the same error. A single data type change is enough to break the streaming dataset.

Even when I try to disable and re-enable historic data (mostly to clear the previous data) I get another error and the visualizations are all messed up.

I'm guessing the changes to the model of the dataset refresh all the fields and when trying to keep getting the streaming data, the inputs are unaligned with the previous schema. I can see slight changes in ordering of column keys once in a while.

I've given up trying to find a solution, and frankly in the scope of current streaming visualization options, it's easier to re-create the whole dataset from the beginning. For a more detailed report though, this can get real frustrating real quick.

Did you have any luck in solving this @mpeterson?

Hi Greyincarnation,

were you able to get the configured visuals working with the newly created dataset? And what exactly you did in ASA job output? Did you create completely new output with the same dataset name but with "RealTimeData" as table name? Or you did something else?

Best Regards

Edin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @emulic,

First I always delete the dataset and related reports, dashboards from the power bi service, then delete the power bi output from ASA job. Next, I add the Power BI output to ASA with a dataset name and RealTimeData as the table name.

ASA replaces the existing dataset if there is already another with the same name so it doesn't matter but I always give the table name RealTimeData.

That solves my troubles until next time I need to update something, and start all over again.

I can repro the issue, but the provided "workaround" seems like awful lot to do for a simple update, any comments Microsoft?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.