Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emilypoon
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI button to bring me to the next page with filtering

Hi all,

I want to create a button in PowerBI Desktop with a feature to allow me to click on it to the next page with the pre-set filtering on the master page.

For example:

(1) Master page - I have a button, then I choose a filter let's say Year=2018

(2) Child page - This page suppose to give me whatever results with Year=2018 data only

I know I can put any charts in the master page and "drillthrough" to the child page, but now I only want a slicer to be shown in the master page without the charts, and I want to use the button control to bring me into the child page. In such way, the button control cannot carry forward whatever filters that I made in the master page to the child page.

Is there any suggestions for the above problem?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Emily

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @emilypoon,

I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, so excuse me if I'm proposing a solution which does not meet your requirements.

It is possible to get the filter to the child page by a bookmark, but only if you use the slicer visual for filtering.

In the images below, I have month on a slicer-visual, and select month 2. Clicking on the Child Page button/bookmark takes me to the child page, and it shows the same number of hits as the master page. I also added card to show which month is in context, and the month is indeed month 2.

bookmark1.PNG

bookmark2.PNG

The behaviour you are describing might arise from how you set the bookmark on the child page. By default, when setting a bookmark, all visuals are added to a bookmark, including slicers. So if you set the bookmark on the child page without any filters on the year slicer, that is the filter setting which will be applied when you click on the button with the child page bookmark.

But there is an option of bookmarking only selected visuals. If you select all visuals except the slicers, and click "update", the slicers will be controlled by the slicer sync instead of the bookmarks

bookmark3.PNG

best regards,

Sturla

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Emily,

Have you considered using bookmarks? You could have a master page with the slicer and a button with a bookmark-link to navigate to the child page. Include the slicer on the child page as well, and set the slicers to sync for all pages.

EDIT: It is not neccessay to add the slicer in the child page

best regards,

Sturla

Hi Sturla,

Thanks for your reply!

I tried your method to select "Sync slicers" and it works perfectly with the proper filters in the child page.

However, I need to put "Card" in my mother page instead of charts, and the "Card" visualization in PowerBI does not allow users to "drillthrough" to the child level.

As a workaround solution, I tried to put a button in my mother page and the users should be able to get into the child page once they click on the button. However, the child page doesn't give me the filtering that I pre-set in the mother page if I click on the button.

My steps as follow:
(1) Sync slicer => I am done for this already, works perfectly
(2) Mother page - choose whatever filter and the Card gives me the filtered value
(3) Child page - result is showing with the proper filtered values as per mother page
(4) Mother page - instead of manually click on the child page, I want to enable users to click on a button and it will bring them to the child page with the filtering as per the mother page ==> this part doesn't work properly as the child page is still showing all the data without filter

Much appreciated your help again with thanks!

Best regards,

Emily

You could add a blank button from the Home ribbon, and add the appropriate text to this button. Add a bookmark on the child page

and possibly also one on the master page. Assign the child page bookmark to the button on the master page. Clicking on  this button will navigate to the child page(In powerbi desktop you will have to control click to active a button)

Not quite sure if I understand your step 4, but could see if this example gives you what you need?

EDIT: does this link work for you? 
I also just made a small change in the file. The bookmarks need to be set for just the selected visuals, because if it is set for all visuals on the page it will also remember the state of the slicer. So with the bookmark set to selected visuals, mark the all visuals except the slicer, and update the bookmark

bookmark example

Hi Sturlaws,

Yes I tried to add the blank button in the mother page and it can bring me to the child page successfully.

The problem I am now facing is that the filters that I made in the mother page will not carry forward to the child page with the button click.

Example:

- Mother page:  Quantity total is 100. If I filter Year=2017, the quantity will become 40.

- Child page: By manually clicking on child page, quantity is also showing 40 because I already filtered Year=2017 in the mother page

- If I go back to the mother page and click on the button while selecting Year=2017, it will bring me to the child page but the quantity remains as 100 instead of 40.

The above example shows that a button click cannot carry forward whatever filter that I made in the mother page.

Any suggestions on the above problem?

Best regards,

Emily

Hi @emilypoon,

I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, so excuse me if I'm proposing a solution which does not meet your requirements.

It is possible to get the filter to the child page by a bookmark, but only if you use the slicer visual for filtering.

In the images below, I have month on a slicer-visual, and select month 2. Clicking on the Child Page button/bookmark takes me to the child page, and it shows the same number of hits as the master page. I also added card to show which month is in context, and the month is indeed month 2.

bookmark1.PNG

bookmark2.PNG

The behaviour you are describing might arise from how you set the bookmark on the child page. By default, when setting a bookmark, all visuals are added to a bookmark, including slicers. So if you set the bookmark on the child page without any filters on the year slicer, that is the filter setting which will be applied when you click on the button with the child page bookmark.

But there is an option of bookmarking only selected visuals. If you select all visuals except the slicers, and click "update", the slicers will be controlled by the slicer sync instead of the bookmarks

bookmark3.PNG

best regards,

Sturla

Hi,

I am having the same problem and this solution seems to work well when the child page does not contain any buttons. When it does have some buttons, then the buttons stop working when we have the option 'Selected visuals'.

Any ideias to solve this?

Thanks!

Hi Sturlaws,

Thanks for your detailed reply and it seems working fine now.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Emily

Hi @emilypoon,

For your requirement, I'm afraid that button cannot carry the slicer filter to another page directly in Power BI currently.

We only could use bookmark along with Sync slicers as a workaround.

In addition, you could submit your idea in Power BI ideas forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.