Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Won't Open IDE for Python (Visual Studio)

I saw a similar post from the past but it was never resolved, I'm wondering if anyone else is running into similar issues.

I have installed PowerBI and Visual Studio Code, installed Python and Python extension for VS Code. VS code is set as default application for opening .py files. 

When I go to Python settings VS Code doesn't appear in drop-down as an installed IDE. When I ask PBI to use the default app for .py extensions or manually point to VS Code's executable, it still ignores the whole thing and just opens the built-in Python editor.

Am I missing something or this is a bug? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can try the following steps.

1 Select Python visual from Visualizations Pane to enable scripts visual

v-cazheng-msft_0-1614230382442.png

2 Drag a field into Python visual as values and then click the arrow to enable script in external IDE

v-cazheng-msft_1-1614230382489.png

v-cazheng-msft_3-1614230641193.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ultimate solution to this problem is for you to change the default py script execution program.
Make sure it's like the PY IDE, and change it to VSCode.

pypropt.png

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can refer Run Python scripts in Power BI Desktop and Use an external Python IDE with Power BI. If it doesn't work, you can consider downloading Python from Python website and installing it.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest supported version of Python is installed and I've already followed the steps in the documentation. It simply doesn't work.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Can you describe your configuration steps with more details? Does your setting for Python in Options looks like the following?

v-cazheng-msft_0-1614074160210.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Python scripts do run but IDE doesn't launch. I'm pointing it to VS Code executable as it doesn't appear on the detected IDE drop-down. image.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

Your configuration in Options is correct. Then you need click the arrow to enable VS Code. Have you operated like this?

v-cazheng-msft_0-1614133880892.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see the arrow or syntax highlighting. Tried both in get data and Query Editor windows.

YigitK_2-1614174558607.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can try the following steps.

1 Select Python visual from Visualizations Pane to enable scripts visual

v-cazheng-msft_0-1614230382442.png

2 Drag a field into Python visual as values and then click the arrow to enable script in external IDE

v-cazheng-msft_1-1614230382489.png

v-cazheng-msft_3-1614230641193.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the same problem, but the solution provided is not valid.

It seems that PowerBI is simply not able to accept the vs code installation path (which by the way is in the default path): after indicating the VS Code path and OK, if I reopen the Options it is again set to "Default OS program for files". PY", and of course it opens the other editor instead of Code.exe when I add a visual python.

yby_0-1637081935394.png

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.