Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ta5656
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI_ Dynamic color selection as per Geo

Hi,

I need help regarding the color formatting in the PowerBI desktop. In my dataset, I have Geos, Countries, Customers, and Sales with those fields I created a new Measure (called as Sales of Top5) for the Top 5 Customers. With the Top 5 measure and Customers, I created a Clustered column chart as shown below. What I want to visualize is: if I filter the GEO on the page it should show the Customer color as per Geo selected. 

Let suppose if I filter GEO to America, on the Clustered chart it should show America related Top 5 customers and color should be America related color (if I give red color to America it should show the data bar color as RED). If I select Asia it should the Top 5 customers of ASIA and color should be ASIA related color (if I give BLUE color to Asia it should show the data bar color as BLUE). At present, it is showing the same color in all countries. Any suggestions or help?

12.png13.png

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ta5656 that is painful, I'm sure there is reason that you cannot use most recent version, drop Geo on Columns and then you can change the color by geo

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ta5656 you can use conditional formatting for color, add new measure for color

Color = 
SWITCH( 
MAX( Table2[Geo] ),
 "Asia", "Blue", 
"Europe", "Green", 
"America", "Red" 
)

go to format painter, click dots on data color, and select conditional formatting

image.png

on conditional formatting, select field value and then select name of your measure we create color and you will see your bars color will based on the geo selection.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

First of all, thanks for your response, Parry.

But, I forgot to mention, I want to implement this in Power BI August 2018 version, in this version condition formatting is not available. Is there any alternate way to do this?

Capture.PNG

Thanks!!

@ta5656 that is painful, I'm sure there is reason that you cannot use most recent version, drop Geo on Columns and then you can change the color by geo

image.png

Thank you!! Parry.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.