Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Allan77R2V1
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI Desktop to pull Azure billing data

I have been using the Azure Enterprise GetData to pull Azure Summary Billing data from ea.azure.com but it looks like in December Microsoft has removed this GetData connector from the Desktop clients and its now failing.

Microsoft has recommended that I switch to using https://consumption.azure.com/ to pull the summary data. However I have not been successful in making this work.

Can anyone provide me the steps to use this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended switching to using json to pull the data through the API and this has let me pull the data but I have another issue that I will post as a seperate question. THanks for everyones assistance.!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Allan77R2V1,

Please follow the guide in the article below to get Azure Consumption Insights connector. If you still get errors, please post the full error message.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-azure-consumption-insights

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Below is the error I recieve when I try the instructions you sent. I thought maybe it was a privilige issue but I have the same privliges I had when I was using the ea.azure.com API, is this one different?

2017_12_27_08_12_01_Greenshot_image_editor.png 

I have tried the following but still recieve the same error

- Temperary they have give me Admin rights

- Did a regenerate on the key even theough the old one didnt expire until Apr 2018

I've not used the azure billing for a while, but it worked fine when I first set it up. I tried both the desktop connector and the Microsoft Azure Enterprise get data service on the cloud.

Does your accout work with the cloud service?

My key has expired so I cannot currently test it.

By Cloud Service do you mean logging into ea.azure.com? Yes my account works fine for this.

Got it, I tried this using the Microsoft Azure Consumption Insights with the PowerBI Web and it did work. However, this wont work for me as I have spent a substnatial amount of time building out the Desktop solution for charging out all of our Azure costs to the different departments in our company and Im pulling data from several internal systems including some Excel files.

The Desktop Microsoft Azure Enterprise connect worked perfectly for me, I dont understand why Micoroft removed this. Any suggestions on how to make the Desktop work?

@Allan77R2V1,

Please connect to Microsoft Azure Consumption Insights PBIT file in Power BI Desktop and check if you can build your desired reports.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan77R2V1,

Please share that Microsoft Azure consumption insights pbit file

Thanks in advance!

regards 

Naga

Hi @Allan77R2V1,

Please share that Microsoft Azure consumption insights pbit file 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Naga

Thanks, but I get the exact same error

2017-12-28 08_06_33-.png

@Allan77R2V1,

Please use Fiddler to capture the trace and share the trace file to us. 

Regards,
Lydia

I ended switching to using json to pull the data through the API and this has let me pull the data but I have another issue that I will post as a seperate question. THanks for everyones assistance.!

Hi,

I've just updated all api key and my old powerbi doc works.

I basically get the details for my report.

This is the basics of what I'm using.

let
    Source = AzureEnterprise.Tables("https://ea.azure.com/rest/??EnrNo??"),
    Detail = Source{[Key="Detail"]}[Data]
in
    Detail

I was also able to create a new connection using AzureConsumptionInsights and selected UsageDetails.

let
Source = MicrosoftAzureConsumptionInsights.Tables(??EnrNo??, []),
usagedetails = Source{[Key="usagedetails"]}[Data]
in
usagedetails

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.