Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

iamhassaan
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI Desktop for Macbook

Is there a possibility that Microsoft will introduce PowerBI desktop native support for Macbook M1 and Intel chips. Its been a while and many users have requested this feature. Why doesn't Microsoft do something about it?

5 REPLIES 5
sifos90611

Please have a look - Power BI for MAC

XamarinMaster

The solution is simple.  Microsoft should eat their own dogfood and use .NET MAUI for the implementation of PowerBI Desktop for BOTH Windows and Mac.  They are heavily touting .NET MAUI and claim Mac is a first class deployment platform along with Windows.  So if they want developers to use it for cross-platform development, they should use it themselves.  Maybe that will help reduce all the bugs since Microsoft's own developers will be encountering them like everybody else.

MartinMeadows

It really is quite inportant that this happens. Not only to aid adoption but to remove friction for end users.

A massive organisation like Microsoft should be able to do this.

If they are not capable then can you make the web version have the same functionality as the desktop. This would also solve the issue of having friction using a vertual desktop.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @iamhassaan 

Microsoft uses lot of already created DLLs whick align with other tools it has released so that it can concentrate on improving the performance of the tool rather than building the foundation.

So, creating a app for MAC is far fetched as all the ground work needs to be done to support it on MAC and instead of one team working on one platform it has to double up its manforce.

Also, its not only PBI, there are ton of tools that can be used with PBI which also would be then required to be converted as per MAC. It will be like creating a new company itself.

I have the same situation and use a VM to comment to windows and use all the MS provided tools.

Hope you understand the complexity.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Hi @pranit828 - could you please elaborate on how to use a VM to comment to windows and use all the MS provided tools? Many thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.