Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rocko
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Desktop fails to start

One day recently my PowerBI Desktop started to crash when started.  It would display the splash screen but then close down.  Only error in Event Viewer:

The description for Event ID 0 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace821859503 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

It had been working fine and then stopped.  I am not sure if it was a Windows 10 Update or PowerBI Update that has caused this.  The only thing I have changed on my desktop since it worked last was that I had installed Visual Studio 15 and SSDT.  I even tried installing an older version of Power BI but that made no difference.  

Any help is greatly appreciated.  This unexplained issue is not helping my case in trying to replace a competitor product with Power BI. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rocko
Frequent Visitor

I finally got it to work. My computer had SQL Server 2016 installed (Engine, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS) with SSDT and VIsual Studio 2015.  I uninstall all of it.  Reinstalled Power BI and now it works.  It had worked fine up until I had installed SSDT and VS 2015.  I had tried just uninstalling SSDT but that did nothing.  I could not find away to uninstall VS so I  uninstalled everything else.  When I have the time I will re-install SQL Server 2016 and SSDT and see if it breaks it again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
compkos
Frequent Visitor

Hello 

Same problem here

Rocko
Frequent Visitor

I finally got it to work. My computer had SQL Server 2016 installed (Engine, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS) with SSDT and VIsual Studio 2015.  I uninstall all of it.  Reinstalled Power BI and now it works.  It had worked fine up until I had installed SSDT and VS 2015.  I had tried just uninstalling SSDT but that did nothing.  I could not find away to uninstall VS so I  uninstalled everything else.  When I have the time I will re-install SQL Server 2016 and SSDT and see if it breaks it again.

compkos
Frequent Visitor

32bit version has not problem, works

Problem was with 64bit version

This should not be set to solved. The error still Occurs. Using the 32bit version is not a solution, but a workaround.

this is still not working with my windows 10 64-bit installation, using 32-bit power bi.  my instance of powerbi, just freezes on startup.  Event 11 MSOLAP AnalysisServicesWorkspace, errors.  Perflib errors.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem for a while, tried all sorts from internet but not able to fix it.

Did you find a fix for this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

rahulijaver....the way I got past the problem was to uninstall PowerBI, SSDT and VS 2015.  Then re-installed.  Has been working fine since.

Thank you Rocko for your reply.

I tried your steps but still it didn't work for me. When I look in event viewer it says "The description for Event ID 11 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1116772846 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer." 

I tried looking for this issue but my efforts were futile. 

Any help will be appreciated.

-Rahul

Exactly the same here. 😞 

Power BI Desktop 64bit (newest August version from store, but also non-store version from July) crashes after initial splash scree with Error from MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace... with Event ID 11.

It started after August update. I could still access my reports with the July release, although even that crashed from time to time. Now, for some reason neither works and both releases crash the same way...

Any solution to this yet? Are there any logs that would produce further insights?

Hi Chris,

I haven't found any solution for it, and have to stop using Power BI due to this issue 😞

Thank you.

-Rahul Jhaver

Thanks for your reply, Rahul!

Well, I reinstalled my Win 10 laptop and now it works again. Still very disappointing. I'll make sure in the future not to depend on Power BI like this again...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.