Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

azaterol
Helper V
Helper V

PowerBI Desktop and PowerBI Service and Database

Hello everyone,

I've got a question. When I wrote inefficient code and built an inefficient database structure. This means tables are copied and pasted multiple times.
How much does that affect performance?
Question 2: How does the interaction between PowerBI Desktop and the PowerBI service work? Where is the data stored that PowerBI Desktop obtains by connecting to our database? Are these stored in the Microsoft cloud? Can you explain the structure to me? Unfortunately, the explanation in the Microsoft documentation didn't help me much...

I would be grateful if you give me helpful answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@azaterol , In the import mode data is first stored in pbix, and then once you published it stores on azure cloud.

Refresh on service can add data in service, independent of the desktop

In direct query mode, Power bi do not store data, only store meta and cache results for performace

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @azaterol 

When tables are copied and pasted multiple times in the model, the model size will be enlarged. When you use a report in Power BI Desktop, the whole data model of the report is held in the memory of your computer. And too many complex formulas will consume more memory and CPU resources for calculation than efficient formulas. All these will make the report perform slower. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@azaterol , In the import mode data is first stored in pbix, and then once you published it stores on azure cloud.

Refresh on service can add data in service, independent of the desktop

In direct query mode, Power bi do not store data, only store meta and cache results for performace

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.