Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RyanP
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI Desktop - Rename COlumn - FAILS on First attempt 100% of the time

PowerBI Desktop - Rename Column - FAILS on First attempt 100% of the time

Windows 10 - Version: 2.66.5376.2161 32-bit (February 2019)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RyanP ,

I think this should more related to directquery mode. AFAIK, direct query mode will update every time you interact with visuals.

If you direct modify fields name on data model side, these new field name cannot match with datasource fields(power bi not support to write back to database), so you had to use query editor to rename original field names or change it on database side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RyanP ,

I can't reproduce this on my side, what type of data source you test? Have you try to test on 64 bit version or last version?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

PBI Desktop - 64 bit - Direct Query - SQL Server - Field used in Report filters

If I attempt to rename from the Fields, nothing happens the first time.

Then the second attempt is successful, but immediately receive a data source error.

Then I have to go 'Edit Query' on the table, and manually modify the '= Table.RenameColumns'  portion of the query.

Reproducable 100% of the time

Hi @RyanP ,

I think this should more related to directquery mode. AFAIK, direct query mode will update every time you interact with visuals.

If you direct modify fields name on data model side, these new field name cannot match with datasource fields(power bi not support to write back to database), so you had to use query editor to rename original field names or change it on database side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks. @v-shex-msft I had started editing field names only in the visuals or on the queries themselves (Applied Steps).

None the less, the BUG still exists in the application.

WIth Direct Query data sources, the application allows you to attempt right-click / rename fields from within the fields dialogue window. Yet this will fail each time, due to what you have described / what I have experienced.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.