Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mikeeg

PowerBI Desktop Installation Named Pipes Error

Hi

I have just downloaded the latest version of PowerBI Desktop and tried to install it on my PC (with more than the mimimum system requirements) and the installtion does not complete as an error is displayed stating:

"Microsoft PowerBI Desktop could not start properly due to errors with named pipe connections. Please click on the l ink below for details.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-error-launching-desktop/ "

Nothing in the link relates to named pipe connections!

Any idea as to what this might be?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mikeeg,

Have you tried running Power BI Desktop with administrator privilege which should allow Power BI Desktop to successfully launch in this scenario?

Or have you tried installing the latest version of Power BI Enterprise Gateway to see if the issue remains?Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi v-ljerr-mst

Just tried to install Power BI Enterprise Gateway and it said installation successful,  but at the end of the process when the next button was clicked I got an error singing in:

Network request returned unexpected error.
Request error: Id: '5d24a251-a959-4ce9-9446-a62ae84a82f0', Status code: 'NotFound', Timestamp: '02/16/2017 11:57:11 +00:00', ErrorCode: 'UnknownError', Detail: ''
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverEmailProperties>d__19.MoveNext()

Also, I was running the Power BI Desktop installation as an Administrator.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors