Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Akahn
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

PowerBI Desktop Crashes

After the September update of PowerBI desktop, the program is crashing WAY more than it used to. It often happens when adjusting table relationships, building new metrics, altering existing metrics, and especially when building large or complicated metrics.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Akahn My guess is that they'll have you go into options and enable tracing, have you crash the desktop and send them the trace file to see why it is doing it. Or you could just do that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment im working on a laptop with 4 GB ram, when PowerBI has automatic updates enabled, my computer frozen or crashes...

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous What is the situation with this today.  Are you still stuck and/or did you figure out what's happening? 

@Seth_C_Bauer Is this a common problem?  After the end of July update which really was a problem, I'm trying to scope out how stable the new release is before updating.  Any thoughts?  

Thanks,

Tom

I am experiencing it a lot!

I too face the same problem,  while starting shows Initializing model ... then a window .. then close down !!!!!

Hello

Same problem here

I too face the same problem,  while starting shows Initializing model ... then a window .. then close down !!!!!

@ThomasDay I've never experianced these crashes... So I can't say it's common. There have been a few instances where certain system setups encountered these errors, but I've never had any issues.

I do however, copy all the downloads to a seperate folder location in case I want to revert to a previous version. This ensures that if I do run into any problems I can just install the older version untill any issue is resolved.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I am having the same issues. Since downloading the September update Power BI crashes every 15 minutes or so. I am running Windows 10 the Pro with the most current version of Explorer - so that is not the issue. 

Yes, I'm seeing more frequent crashes also. Seems to be when creating relationships or measures.

I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit and latest IE.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.