Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike_Westley
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Desktop Crashes

Has anyone had a Power BI pbix file disappear (yes, not corrupted, not left in open state) having clicked to save and close it.

Received message (headed Microsoft .NET Framework) 'Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  $ is undefined'.  Clicking on Continue, repeatedly (looped) referring to 'Out of Memory at Line 1'.  No choice but to close PBIDT through Task Manager.

Reopening Power BIDT and link to the .pbix could not find the file - in Windows Explorer the .pbix file has disappeared.  Good job I had a version from earlier... still ... not impressed AT ALL!!

So does PBI and PBI DT not have a recovery function (akin to Excel's when a file crashes out and needs recovery?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mike_Westley

I didn’t see this behavior before and I think you can try to reinstall .NET 4.5 or later on your PC.

And as BhaveshPatel said, the Auto-recover ability is included in Power BI August update. You can download and try this useful function according to this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mike_Westley

I didn’t see this behavior before and I think you can try to reinstall .NET 4.5 or later on your PC.

And as BhaveshPatel said, the Auto-recover ability is included in Power BI August update. You can download and try this useful function according to this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi - many thanks for the suggestions.

Our Group IT have now downloaded/updated/installed the August update.

I have not had a crash since the update - but I think that this is because the moon is in its 3rd quarter - lol.

I am now more cautious about saving copies of .pbix's more frequently with filename dates and version numbers - in case of a further crash - I am also trying not to have excel open at the same time as Power BI Desktop - it was whilst switching back/forth between Excel and Power BI Desktop screens and then saving a .pbix that the crash originally occurred.

In doing so though I did however raise a further issue with community, that the link in Power BI Desktop that says 'an update is available' does not, when clicked on, check the 32/64 bit element of user's operating system, and instead just downloads the 64 bit zip file which of course does not install on a 32 bit computer).  Instead one has to find the 'Advanced Download Option' and the page that offers 32 bit or 64 bit versions - surely the download process could test the system and then offer 32 bit only if the current system is 32 bit 🙂 

powerbi crashes all the time for me, and I don't know why. I tried the following things:

1. Install/uninstall 

2. 32x bit version - works but I can't do refresh (says memory issues and to upgrade to 64x)

3. when I upgrade again to 64x power bi won't load again

4. I tried deleting the files inside AppData - also didn't work

5. I tried playing with the config file - also didn't work

What didn't I do?

I'm running a 64x bit windows 10

Can someone please help (It work yesterday and today it won't even load)

Please help me,

Thanks,

Ilan

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

This feature has just released for the current month update.

You can find more information about this at

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-august-feature-summary/

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.