Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Akahn
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

PowerBI Desktop Crashes

After the September update of PowerBI desktop, the program is crashing WAY more than it used to. It often happens when adjusting table relationships, building new metrics, altering existing metrics, and especially when building large or complicated metrics.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Akahn My guess is that they'll have you go into options and enable tracing, have you crash the desktop and send them the trace file to see why it is doing it. Or you could just do that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
HabibAdil
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have been experiencing this issue for a while now. I tried both 32 and 64 bit. The issue seems to be on and off. Some days the programme crashes other days does not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue...crashes immediately when opening pbix file. 32 bit machine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Memairport, I found the way to fix it is to Max out the Virtual memory on the machine you are working with. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you...will give it a try tomorrow.  My Virtual Memory is very low as it is currently configured.  I have to let our IT department make the change though.  We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also go into the Power Bi settings and increase the amount of Virtual memory it can use as well. 

I had to do both, as our IT department wouldn't let me increase the memory, but let me put in an external SSD, which was set as virtual use only. 

hopefully that helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

May I ask what you have your POWERBI virtual memory set to?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Computer has only 8GB memory (work computer), when Power BI is open, constantly using 15.7 gb. The only way I could get Power Bi to work without crashing, was to give it full access to a large Virtual Memory when I did this it worked. However as it was constatnly using the standard harddrive using up disk space constantly, so I gave it a full dedicated 250gig on a dedicated SSD in reserve. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

IT department installed 64 bit PBI. No crashes since.

Installed 64 bit, but then I could not import data from our ERP using ODBC connection as it is 32 bit. Our whole IT architecture is 32 bit. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need the 64 bit ODBC connection if you are using 64 bit PowerBI. Hopefully, if you remove the 32bit ODBC and install the 64 bit ODBC it will correct the memory issues. Also try the virtual memory issues mentioned earlier. I am not sure why but at home office I have 16gb of RAM memory. No problems using 32 bit there. But when I got to work the 32 bit version installed there crashed everytime with the same .pbix file. The work computer only had 8gb RAM. Once 64 bit installed, with 8gb RAM at work, the file has run smoothly.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for the reply. I cannot remove 32 bit as I need it for MS Access and Crystal Reports etc. I think there is a way to have both 32 and 64 bits ODBC. I will update here if worked.

Yes, unfortunately, you can't mix 64 bit and 32 bit.  I had the same problem.  We had 64 bit available in our enterprise subscription, but IT wouldn't let me use it because some people were using only 32 bit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Power Bi 64 desktop version and I am having Constant crashes, without warning just a full close of the program whenever, I Click on Edit Queries, and also when opening options looking at Data load and hovering over the i, next to maximum allowed (MB). 

Have windows 10 64 bit, 8gig ram and also i7-8565. 

seems weird as zero problems on my desktop. 

MarcosLourenco

This is embarrasing, Power BI just keeps crashing and the file dissapears. Microsoft please sort this out asap. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing the same issue.

I have 8GB RAM , x64-based PC, Windows 7 OS.

Anyone knows the root cause and solution?

I am also experiencing this issue - very frustrating:

Windows 10

16GB Ram

64 Bit

I migrated all of my reports to Google Cloud and Tableau because I could no longer run the reports at all after a while.

jiwhite
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have my desktop interface frequently crashing and losing work.  Sometimes I get out of memory errors or access errors, other times it's not clear why it crashed. I have to apply and save after every query change. which slows my work significantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how much memory does your pc have? ..... i had many many problems the time i was working with 4 mb of RAM....

I have 16 GB of RAM. Memory limitations shouldn't be causing the app to continuously crash just opening it to edit queries. I wwatched Task Manager as it was opening.  It reached less than 2 GB of RAM utilization before crashing out of memory.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.