Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markive
Advocate II
Advocate II

PowerBI Desktop = CPU + Memory Hog

Hi, not sure if there is a better place for this, but I'll start here..

I'm running the best Macbook Pro Retina, latest Parallals Desktop, Windows 10, with 2Cores and 4gb RAM allocated to Parrallels. Normally things in Windows run just fine.

However with PowerBI everything is very slow the program itself isn't very responsive. The main problem is that when the app isn't being used it's just idleing in the background it still uses between 30-50% of the CPU!! I don't have a problem with it using about 1gb of memory as I have a report open but it definately seems to be a CPU hog, grinding my system to a hault.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any recommendations to aleviate the issue somewhat?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pqian
Employee
Employee

@markive can you tell us which process is using 30%-50% of the CPU? If it's Microsoft.Mashup.Container*, then it's a similar problem to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63159ce7-1252-49ea-891f-d01d7fd4e1be/microsoft-mas... Otherwise it's different and we need to trace it down

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pqian
Employee
Employee

@markive can you tell us which process is using 30%-50% of the CPU? If it's Microsoft.Mashup.Container*, then it's a similar problem to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63159ce7-1252-49ea-891f-d01d7fd4e1be/microsoft-mas... Otherwise it's different and we need to trace it down

Yep it's mainly that actually.. Glad it's a known issue..

@markive, great! Please stay tuned for the update news. Soon you'll be able to customize the background evaluation behavior via the settings menu.

@pqian, Any news about this? I'm currently having the exact same issue, with the difference that In my case I have 3 different instances of process "Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container" consuming an overall 70+ CPU as soon as I open the pbix file.

MMEC.png

Cheers!

By the way, this started happening today after I updated Power BI Desktop to version: 2.42.4611.701 64-bit (May 2017).

Cheers

OMG, I have a similar problem from that date, since I updated Power BI. In my case I can't refresh it because all the memory is overloaded and it also blocks my computer.

I need help!!!!

Same thing here. Since installing the latest version, I've been unable to keep PBI Desktop open for more than two minutes before everything freezes and I need to restart my computer.

I solved my problem, now it works perfectly.Captura3.JPG

You only have to disable that option.

Hope it works for you too.

Thanks, bestebaranz 🙂 It seems to be working so far!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.