Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI - Comparison visualisation within a dataset using two filters of the same column

Hi All,

I am developing a tool on PowerBI and trying to create a comparison visualisation that allows me to apply two filters on the same dataset. I have created a sample visualisation below, which I was able to produce by duplicating the original table. However I would like a solution where I do not need to duplicate the table as this doubles the amount of data - and is causing space capacity issues.

Snapshot from the visualisation from PowerBISnapshot from the visualisation from PowerBI

As you can see from the visual i have selected two brands so that i can directly compare them across 'category'

Here is the sample dataset:-

dataset.PNG

And to make the above visualisation work i had to copy the table by creating a duplicate. Now this works, but effectively doubles the size of the data on the tool, which is not feasible for me. Can anybody recommend an alternative please? Example of data model i used for this visualisation:-

data_model.PNG

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

You can try selecting the chart and going into Y axis. Here you can change Inner padding to, like, 5, so the bars don't look so scrawny. You can also ramp up the Minimum category width a bit for th same reason, although be careful as this will push your bars off the bounds of the chart if put up too high.

You can also Go to Legend and adjust where this sits to help with the balance of the visual.

Other than these little tweaks, there's not much else you can do. A bar chart is never going to look great with loads of data points on it, it's more for clear, low-volume, comparisons I think.

Maybe try switching to Clustered column chart and see if you find this a bit easier on the eye.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying this, but can't you just multiselect the brands in your dropdown list A so they both show on the chart?

Either ctrl+click on the second comparison brand on the dropdown, or select the slicer and go to Selection Controls and switch off 'Multi-select with CTRL' so you can just click on/off brands in the drop down.

an8nd.PNG

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response Pete. If i do that then it aggregates the brands opposed to allowing me to view their scores individually and compare. I.e it would look like this, which is not what i am after..

Capture2.PNG

Hi @Anonymous 

Add the brand into the legend, like this:

an8nd2.PNG

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does work Pete. It has less flexibility as you can not aggregate brands together but this could work. Also my actual dataset has tens of brands and so the chart doesn't look great until just 1 or 2 are selected - any workarounds for that?

Thanks,

Anand

@Anonymous 

You can try selecting the chart and going into Y axis. Here you can change Inner padding to, like, 5, so the bars don't look so scrawny. You can also ramp up the Minimum category width a bit for th same reason, although be careful as this will push your bars off the bounds of the chart if put up too high.

You can also Go to Legend and adjust where this sits to help with the balance of the visual.

Other than these little tweaks, there's not much else you can do. A bar chart is never going to look great with loads of data points on it, it's more for clear, low-volume, comparisons I think.

Maybe try switching to Clustered column chart and see if you find this a bit easier on the eye.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.