Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vedran
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps Common Data Service as a new data source

Hi guys, in yesterday’s update Power BI November, I found PowerApps Common Data Service connector in Beta as a preview, but nowhere I can’t find any information about that, do you know something more for that, how to use it, in next step dialog requires Analysis Services database from Common Data Service Environment, I didn't see where I can connect AS to CDM, or is this regular Gateway in CDM? ..too many question’s 🙂

..I see that also Dynamics CRM is changed into Dynamics 365, is there a more changes for this connector?

2016-11-29 15_40_01-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi vedran,

Yes, there is no information mentioned for this new connector in the update feature summary:

Power BI Desktop November Feature Summary

I tested this and only received the following error message:

51.PNG

It seems to be that currently it could only handle connections from Analysis Services database, while the database is auto-generated when creating the environment from PowerApps, I didn't find any option available to allow me choose the database type within PowerApps.

As there is no documentation on this part, I suspect this is still under development, there should be update on either Power BI connector, or the database creation in PowerApps, maybe both.

For Dynamics 365, Well, that is also a big topic, check the Dynamics 365 roadmap:

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Roadmap

There should be updates regarding this connector, to add support for the new features added into Dynamics 365.

Regards

The functionality will start lighting up in a couple of weeks. We will post a new blog post when that happens, so be on a lookout for that!

Great news that this may be close in a few @Amanda.  We can even see the perms now in PowerApps admin area, which may(?) be live on that side...From PowerApps Admin Center 2/1From PowerApps Admin Center 2/1

But no blog note yet, and PowerBI is still singing the "not supported" blues, even though we're now into Feburary (rabbit rabbit). 

Capture2.JPG

We have some POC's backing up on this, any idea if it might be in the Feburary release map for Desktop at least?

Thanks for any insight!

Has anyone been successful in connecting the common data service database to Power BI? 

I have created a test environment and database where I am the admin, followed the instructions, but I do see the button to enable the connection in PowerApps Admin.  I can see the environment from PBI but it does not complete the connection.

Thanks.

As of today, I am still unable to enable CDS in the Powerapps Admin portal.

The latest Power BI Desktop (December 2017) presents the same response as others have noted, "region not supported ... or not enabled." The connector is still listed as "beta".

I don't know my PowerApps region, but I'm in Falls Church, VA, not an exotic foreign locale <g>

It is very odd and frustrating that the capability was announced a full TEN months ago, yet no action.

There was a posting with an email address to request expedited access, but that email address is no longer valid.

While CDS is an appealing concept, lack of PBI integration is a show-stopper for my clients.

vedran
Frequent Visitor

Dear @Amanda and @v-micsh-msft thank you for your replies,

then we just need to be patient 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.