Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VZVision

Power query "Refresh" updates queries BUT "Apply Changes" will NOT pull data into model

Hey there,

So here's a step-by-step of the specific problem I'm having:

1. I have data sources that have been populated with new rows of data, so I hit "REFRESH ALL" in power query to retrieve this data from the respective data sources.

2. I examine the table previews and the new rows have indeed been pulled through.

3. I hit "APPLY CHANGES" ..... and ..... nothing.

4. I take one query that I know has new data entries and add a trivial step to the end of the query (sort, a meaningless filter, etc.)

5. Then, AND ONLY THEN, will apply changes have the expected result (i.e. New data rows are brought into the model)

Thinking that maybe it was a specific data source that was triggering this behavior, I have tested this against a few different sources (SQL statements, Text/CSV source, Python script, bulk local folders). All of these have no effect on this behavior. I have NOT attempted to set up direct query however.

I have some projects with only a few query tables where this is manageable, but the behavior becomes hair-pullingly frustrating as the number of queries are scaled up (i.e. adding trivial steps to EVERY table where rows are refreshed but not applied)

Three thoughts I've had:

1. Is this a known bug?

2. Can anyone think of a work around where I could edit multiple queries in one go? (i.e. add only one extra step after refreshing rather than N steps where N is the number of tables that have been refreshed.

3. If this is supposed to be like this , to my mind, it kind of defeats the purpose of the refresh button if apply changes ONLY reacts to the query steps a user has added???

Anyways, any help anyone can offer, I would be eternally thankful.

Thanks in advance,

ATVZ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
deevaker
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @VZVision ,

Looks like you are refreshing in power query, if there is no change in the power query, then power bi will not automatically refresh other tables. 
Suggestion - Hit refresh all on power bi visualization section after applying the changes.
Let me know if you would like to connect if issue still persist.

Thanks,
Deevaker Goel
+919711975011
deevaker@hotmail.com
https://linkedin.com/in/deevakerg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VZVision

Thank you! thank you! thank you!

I was seriously going nuts over this.

I always just assumed that the refresh in the visualization section was the similar to what was happening in power query (i.e it would just do a refresh in power query without opening the window)

Again many many thanks. 😁 You've saved me a lot of future frustration

ATVZ

You are welcome 🙂 

deevaker
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @VZVision ,

Looks like you are refreshing in power query, if there is no change in the power query, then power bi will not automatically refresh other tables. 
Suggestion - Hit refresh all on power bi visualization section after applying the changes.
Let me know if you would like to connect if issue still persist.

Thanks,
Deevaker Goel
+919711975011
deevaker@hotmail.com
https://linkedin.com/in/deevakerg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.