Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bbaumgartner
Frequent Visitor

Power query editor has changed type errors with new source

Whenever I want to change the data source of my dashboard, I always get an error at the "Changed Type" step of my query. I have to repetedly delete this step and reassign all the data types to get my dashboard to display correctly every time I want to update the source. I make sure I have "Changed Type" as the last step of my query so as to not break anything. It's just tedious to have to reassign the data types every single time for my reports. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a work around at all? Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I just looked more closely at my table and realized my field is actually called "SalesOrderNumber". In the Formula Bar, it's recorded as "Sales Order Number". I'm not sure why that happened-- is there a default setting that possibly serparates the text? I just deleted the spaces in Sales Order Number and everything worked perfectly. 

Appreciate your help with this issue, thank you for looking in to it!

Best,
Bonnie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bbaumgartner,

Did you solve it? Would you mind sharing it with us?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bbaumgartner,

If you change the data source, the structure and the columns names should be the same as the old ones. Please check it out. Can you post a snapshot of the error message please?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I just tried this again, here were my steps:

1. Go to Data Source Settings and change source (note, the new source has the exact same fields and structure as previous source).

2. Go to Navigation and select desired Excel sheet

--What happens next is two steps are automatically added to my query. Promoted Headers1 and Changed Type1. I already do this in my query, so I delete these steps.

3. Delete extra Promoted Headers1 and Changed Type1 that were automatically added after Navigation. 

My Applied Steps now look like this:

Source

Navigation

Promoted Headers

Inserted Merged Column

Filtered Rows

Removed Columns

Renamed Columns

Changed Type

My steps look fine until the "Changed Type" step. When I look at the error, it says the 'Sales Order Number' of the table wasn't found, even though it exists in all the previous steps. My work around for this error is deleting the Changed Type step and redefining the data type for all my fields. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have to re-cast my fields every time I update the source? Thank you so much, really appreciate the help.

Best,
Bonnie

Pipeline_PBI_Error.PNG

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I just looked more closely at my table and realized my field is actually called "SalesOrderNumber". In the Formula Bar, it's recorded as "Sales Order Number". I'm not sure why that happened-- is there a default setting that possibly serparates the text? I just deleted the spaces in Sales Order Number and everything worked perfectly. 

Appreciate your help with this issue, thank you for looking in to it!

Best,
Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for sharing. The most possible cause is the data source. Almost every step of Power Query will refer to the last step. It won't change any name like that.

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.