Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power query If submit date between start date and end date, then "on time" else "late"

Hi,

I was wondering how you would input a string of text into a new column if submission date is between two dates (or greater than start date and smaller than end date). 

submitted.JPG

I've heard about datesbetween, but the syntax seems to mention CALCULATE, and I'm not calculating anything, just trying to filter for if the submit date is late or not. (Visual date slicers would be too tedious as well).

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hey,

please be aware that the Submitted On datetime is greater than the End date.

Where 3/03/2019 10:27:55 PM is close to the 4th of March

the end date 3/03/2019 12:00:00 AM marks midnight between the 2nd and 3rd of march.

If the time is not relevant you might consider to extract the date part from all of your columns or just add 1 day to the End column.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

@Anonymous 

As @TomMartens  also suggested, in your case you can do the calculation using date part only

so as a custom column try

=if Date.From([Submitted On]) >= Date.From([Start]) and Date.From([Submitted On]) <= Date.From([End]) then "on time" else "late"

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

from the screenshot you posted it's clear that you are looking for a solution in M meaning Power Query.

The formula has to look similar to this:

if [Datum] >= [ShiftStart] and [Datum] <= [ShiftEind] then "this" else "that"

Just use the column reference [Submitted On] after the and.

The functions DATESBETWEEN and CALCULATE are DAX functions, even if both Power Query / M and DAX are able to create a calculated column that can be used for filtering in the final data model, they are different and both have their own subtleties. In this specific case it does not matter if you use Power Query / M or DAX.

Regards,
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomMartens Ah right, thanks for the clarification. I'm completely new to Power BI, and it's really been doing my head in.

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Just make this small amendment to your formula

=if [submitted on] >[Start] and [submitted on] <[End] 

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad  Thanks for the quick reply! I've tried that, and "late" and "on time" do appear - except not in the right way. I know for a fact that in this set of data, no one submitted it late:

late or on time.JPG

@Anonymous 

I am little confused.

The yellow highlighted "Submitted on" figures in your picture above appear to be between Start and End dates..So the formula should return late. Isn't it?

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad My apologies, I accidentally switched the two - but I do have another follow-up question about inclusivity - adding the equal signs to make it "greater / less than or equal to" doesn't seem to include submissions as on time if they submitted on the last day of the date range?

late or on time.JPG

@Anonymous 

As @TomMartens  also suggested, in your case you can do the calculation using date part only

so as a custom column try

=if Date.From([Submitted On]) >= Date.From([Start]) and Date.From([Submitted On]) <= Date.From([End]) then "on time" else "late"

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help guys! Works perfectly. 

Hey,

please be aware that the Submitted On datetime is greater than the End date.

Where 3/03/2019 10:27:55 PM is close to the 4th of March

the end date 3/03/2019 12:00:00 AM marks midnight between the 2nd and 3rd of march.

If the time is not relevant you might consider to extract the date part from all of your columns or just add 1 day to the End column.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.