Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ahmadibrahimbus
Resolver III
Resolver III

Power bi modeling

Hello All,

im working on a business which my have more than 15 fact tables and a lot of dimension.So, im trying to have one shema in power bi trying to cover all the business needs by using common dimensions linking these facts together but I end up with a logic that im obliged to enbale cross filtering acrross many relations between fact and dimensions to let the data flows sommothly between different direction.is this healthy ?

thank you for your support.

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I would critically asses how you build your fact tables. Maybe you have to redesign them.

For example: If you want to show the Actuals (first fact table), but only for those items how have also Bugdeted amounts (second fact table), then you would write a measure that determines the correct amount. But not create a (filtering) relationship from the budget table to the actuals.

Are you able to give one example of why one fact table in your model should filter another one?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ahmadibrahimbus
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello @ImkeF ,

your help is really apreciated.
Im sure also that this is not the right path to follow but what is the best way to follow when having many fact tables which may be linked one to many or many to many relationships with huge number of diensions that may be shared across different fact tables and i want to report the whole business kpis in one dashboared!

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @ahmadibrahimbus ,

that doesn't sound good to me. Crossfiltering between Dimensions is a common pattern, but why would one fact table filter another one via a shared dimension?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.