Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ozmike
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power bi locks user out of database if password has changed?

Hi

Has any one had this issue of power bi PBIX file locking a user out of the database if there password has changed and the Power Bi file they are opening has the the old password it logs on multiple times and locks them out. This requires the admin guys to unlock the user, but again when the user opens the file it will lock them out ( as the old password is used).

We can delete the credentials ( in edit data source) so that the next time that open the file they can enter a new password but once they hit save , the next time there password expired and a password changes , opening the file will lock them out.

What the best practice with power bi , is there a way to force them to enter a password ..each time they open power bi?

Or any other way ..as we don't want user being locked out when they open an PBIX file and there password has changed

We are usng a HANA database.

Any work around.?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Due to the limitations that you have with your database, the only thing that I can think of is that when the User changes his password (A process that he has to go through), they also make a note that next time they log into their Power BI Desktop file they will have to go into the Data Source Settings and "Clear Permissions" for the SAP HANA data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @ozmike,

In addition, here is a similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@ozmike is there a way to control the behaviour in the database?  I guess this is a database login not a windows login?  one way of resolving it could be changing how you authenticate

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Yes you are on the right track. The database has a policy of password expiry, would be hard to change this as its required for audit. I am suprised that there isn't a permenant option to not store passwords in power bi (any ideas). Sure you can delete credentials , but as soon as you  log into the db next time the pbix saves the info again. The user would have to explicitly remember to delete on exit.

Storing the passwords has  nasty effect of the pbix locking out the user from the db once they change there password, after x attempts - so it can just be opening the pbix locks you out depending on the number of tables its trying to refresh.

We can't use the  windows password as its not sync with the database.

Someone else must have had this problem. 

any ideas?

Yes we run into this a lot and it's because we have to use Database Credentials instead of Windows Credentials.  The problem would go away if we could use the latter in our organization..but that would be something that the IT folks would need to address.  One tip though, when their password does change, make sure they understand to open a BLANK pbix or BLANK excel file and then change the global source credentials from there and NOT a file that already has connections in it.  Otherwise, opening a PBIX file with existing connections will try to login...automatically..thus the problem.

Hi @ozmike,

In addition, here is a similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

But still no answer from MS?

There is no an option to limit the number of attempts if the logon fails?

Due to the limitations that you have with your database, the only thing that I can think of is that when the User changes his password (A process that he has to go through), they also make a note that next time they log into their Power BI Desktop file they will have to go into the Data Source Settings and "Clear Permissions" for the SAP HANA data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.